White Genesis I

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: White Genesis I

Post by SunDog on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

What are you doing with the Magnaflux pick ups? I think one of the single coils on my SX is bad and I would like to replace it with another Magnaflux if possible.

SunDog
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.

SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 pm

SunDog wrote:Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.

Mine sounded real good; looking forward to seeing what you think!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 pm

corsair wrote:
SunDog wrote:Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.

Mine sounded real good; looking forward to seeing what you think!!

This guitar sounds awesome. We play a very wide variety of rock songs - and there was a sound in this thing for all of them. I cant rember such a fun day in rehearsal. The Genesis I has moved into favorite axe status (for the time being - probably a honeymoon kind of thing).

I am kind of disappointed that any use of the trem bar causes to have to re-tune afterwards - I dont have a whole lot of experience with locking tremelos - so I dont know if other models are better or not. The bridge is very sensitive - more so than my G&L std trem on my old F-100. Fortunately I don't typically use much trem at all.

Today was a good day.

SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 pm

All locking tremolos are made to lock the strings in tune, if you're going out of tune then something is wrong. Are all the locks in place?

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Lock is engaged on all strings. Maybe the strings are still too new?

SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Thats what I was going to say. I never lock the trem until the strings are a few days old because they will keep going flat on you and if it is locked it can strip (not badly, but over the years it adds up) the locking washers. Try unlocking it and every time you pick it up give each string a good couple of tugs to speed up the "seasoning".

boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

http://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:55 pm

There's a bit of a 'hows-yer-father' someplace on here of the relative merits of the Bendmaster Deluxe but in my experience they are very stable once the strings settle in and you can divebomb away to your hearts content.... well, on mine I could!! Not that I'm saying I dive-bombed a lot; I was more Ritchie Blackmore influenced on wang bar use!!

Very prescient post about not over-tightening the lockbolts; if you strip the thread in the lockbase - and that's real easy because the metal in the base is alloy and the bolts are steel! Design flaw there, nasticanasta!! - that's a whole new world of frustration and having to get a Kahler locking setup....

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm

SunDog wrote:What are you doing with the Magnaflux pick ups? I think one of the single coils on my SX is bad and I would like to replace it with another Magnaflux if possible.

I have a few hanging around, I'll see what I can do for you. As far as the trem stability goes. Stretch the strings out without locking anything down. Get it all stable, just playing. Then lock everything down and stretch the strings again, being careful not to break the lighter ones. Then unlock retune, relock, and it should stay in tune better.
I always use a spring loaded trem stabilizer, I like the old Kahler ones and get them off "wammiworld.com". They mount in the spring cavity and pre-load the trem block from going sharp. I'll post pics as soon as ther Genesis is done being put back together.
By the way the body came in today. It's a solid B+, some nicks, but very livable, and it doesn't have a crack in it. :>)
Thanks again for the heads up.

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Marcus,

Did you notice the red Gen I on ebay for $399? Not quite as nice as my white one - or probably the Gen II that you are building. No case (the case that came with mine is pretty awesome - btw) - no trem bar. Doubt that it will go that high - but it would be nice to see the value of these things creep up some.

I have been playing my Genesis now - almost exclusively since I got it - both just at the house and in rehearsal situations. I still love it to death. I have never had a guitar that hangs around my neck so unobtrusively. On top of that - I am really enjoying the move to a flatter radius neck. This thing is a pure joy to play - and I am convinced that it is making me a better player. When this present band starts gigging regularly this spring, I plan on using the Genesis for all primary duties. I will probably set up my Spectrum SX to handle the songs with altered tunings. Back ups will be my old Electra X930 and my G&L F-100 III (both 1981 vintage).

How is your project coming along? - can't help but feel involved.

SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm

All together and original as far as the pickups for now. I have 3 Westones with the mid-shape knob and this one works the best.

I'll post some pics of the family soon.

Glad you like yours and yes you will always be thought of fondly for finding my replacement body :>) !!

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top