Shadows...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shadows...

Post by corsair on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:53 pm

I know, I know.... no-one will admit to really liking 'em but, by God, some one must have and still do because they're touring again.

Anyway, I have my iPod running through the stereo here and Man of Mystery and Kon Tiki have just shuffled through which got me thinking: Marvins solo lines are lovely but, really, listening closely to these early tracks, I have to say that Meehan and Harris are simply breathtaking in their innovational approach to rhythym playing; astonishing for 1961-ish and I believe Hank is riding on their backs.

I reckon the later guitarist Bruce Welch is also vastly under-rated; his rhythym chords on Cavatina are lovely, and make a very, very simple lead figure something a bit special.

So, you Shads fans in here; whaddya reckon??

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5212
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Shadows...

Post by umpdv5000 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Hank Marvin and the gang did a great job in their day (I know because I was around), problem is that in most younger persons view, they have had their day. When I listen to Hanks expressive playing in tunes such as the likes of Cavatina and Going Home (to name just two), it is easy to see why he and the rest of the Shadows have gained such acclaim. What is not realised by many younger persons is that these guys were cutting edge in their day. Guitar playing techniques, amplification and FX have advanced since then, but to do what they did at the time with the tools at hand is worth saluting. The bass player in the band I play with thinks the Shadows and Hank are sh1te (to use his expression). However, he is only 35 and his brain lives in todays world of guitarists. His opinion is unfortunately typical of the lack of respect given to the forerunners of guitar orientated music. Personally, I love 'em, but I don't perform them these days.

umpdv5000

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyip on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:26 pm

I think the Shadows are without peer in guitar instrumental band land. Hank's lead playing is deceptive in that it sounds easy but requires a lot of practice to imitate. He uses the tremolo exceptionally well.

I don't think that Hank rides on the back of the rest of the band, I think the magic of the Shadows is the way that each instrument plays an integral part to the end product. In Apache the drums are a lead instrument. It is hard to play this tune without a drummer who knows the parts. Peacepipe relies on the rhythm arpeggios to round out the introduction and end etc.

And Hank must be a very intelligent bloke because he has chosen to live in Perth, WA.

Bunyip
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Bunyip wrote:And Hank must be a very intelligent bloke because he has chosen to live in Perth, WA.

.... oooh; let's not go there, eh; too easy!!

OK, then - can't resist; isn't that where all the no hoper kiwis go?!?!

Bunyip wrote:I don't think that Hank rides on the back of the rest of the band,

I didn't word that comment particularly well but I do reckon that
Meehan and Harris were a huge part in Marvin becoming the player he is.
Yep, Bennett is a very tasteful drummer with very jazz-like chops and
it shows.
You not like - or admit to liking - the Shadows, but they were trend
setters, and set the stage for solo guitar tunes on the pop charts, I
reckon! And there were so many instrumental bands in the 60's; I still
like to perform Sleepwalk on lap steel, Telstar on keys and to round
things out, St Louis Toodle-oo.

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 pm

What everybody else said!

I remember the Shadows from way back when and I still like them now!

Hey, there's nowt to be ashamed of for liking somebody which I suppose, many of the younger generations nowadays would laugh at. Admittedly, the clothes and choreography were a bit corny but we didn't think they were back then... it was the fashion!
(Gawd, all the kids now look like a bunch of rejects from a scarecrow factory!)

Rock on Hank and the rest of the Shadows!!!!!

Polly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyip on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 am

I can understand why the younger generation may be dismissive of the Shadows, but I am really glad that I was a youngster in the Shadows' heyday. I think that us baby boomers, now officially 'grumpy old men and women' and proud of this distinction, were fortunate to be there during the 50s and 60s when the pop and rock music panorama was huge. I think young people these days are hard done by with the computer generated auto tune homogenous babble that passes for pop music.

There is I believe a long list of excellent guitar players, e.g. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and so on who would acknowledge Hank Marvin as an early inspiration for them to play guitar. Who knows why the Shadows were not as big in the USA as they were in other parts of the world, but I think that compared to the Ventures et al the Shadows are up there with, if not ahead of, the best.

Bunyip
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:31 am

Bunyip wrote:There is I believe a long list of excellent guitar players, Jeff Beck

Oddly, just listened to 'Truth" this afternoon and once again was struck dumb by Beck's insouciant brilliance!!

.... but I am really glad that I was a youngster in the Shadows' heyday.

..I wish I had been as well!! I'd have loved to have seen all of that music bubbling under, eh - I reckon I was born 10 years too early!! My era was the rise and rise Glam and Heavy Rock, so I don't feel totally disadvantaged!!

auto tune

YAAAAARGH!!! (runs from the room screaming at the thought of auto-tune)

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:08 am

Bunyip wrote:...baby boomers,..were fortunate to be there during the 50s and 60s when the pop and rock music panorama was huge.
Yeah, I'm fortunate (read "old") enough to creep back even further than that. I can remember very well being surrounded by the Big Band sound and the crooners of the 40's; Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, et al as well as the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra...and since I was born in England, there was a lot of the music of the War in my ears too, notably Vera Lynn of course.

As I started to tickle puberty (woo hoo!) the musical landscape changed dramatically with a swivel-hipped cat named Elvis Presley. Rock and Roll turned my parent's hair grey, and mine greasy! What an era ensued. Electric guitars for Pete's sake!! (Thanks Les) Original? New? Oh yesh!

The 60's were beyond compare. The Beatles spearheaded a musical revolution the likes of which we'll not likely see again, and the period from '65 to '75 was a goldmine of musical creativity. Then there was Disco, which of course "sucked".

The '80's and 90's, with one or two exceptions, were unremarkable. Punk? Metal? Glam? Syntho-tech crap. Save me.

The last decade has been smothered in Rap crap, and media-bred "stars" with little talent, but lots of technological crutches and over the top, Blitzkrieg promotionals.

All this by way of agreeing with Bunyip:
... the computer generated auto tune homogenous babble that passes for pop music.

Oh yes, the Shadows.
I confess I was only marginally aware of them growing up. Did they not back Cliff Richards as well?? He was reasonably well known in North America,

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6026
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

SHADOWS

Post by turnersmews on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

i was fortunate to to pass through many decades of music and I reckon that ther is something to be taken from every genre. thats what makes music great, does not mean we have to like it all, but it makes a great debate. When i went to the roundhouse, I see the greats sometimes all on one bill, WHO, STONES, HENDRIX, my love is rock based, but hell I like loads of other stuff. I once got dragged along to see a french guy Sacha Distel in the west end, my worst nightmare I thought, he was actually a very gifted guitar player that never was shown on the TV and I had a good night. Music can always suprise us I guess, thank god. Its hard to compare with today, but those guys were great in there day and I still enjoy watching someone knock out a shads tune on YouTube, just as much as watching Joe Walsh make his guitar talk from that era or some of the kids today as long as they are playing instruments of course. its ageless, old guitars like old guitarists can still rock, especially with a Westone! ha ha

turnersmews
Registered Member

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Back to top Go down

SHADOWS

Post by turnersmews on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:28 pm

i was fortunate to to pass through many decades of music and I reckon that ther is something to be taken from every genre. thats what makes music great, does not mean we have to like it all, but it makes a great debate. When i went to the roundhouse, I see the greats sometimes all on one bill, WHO, STONES, HENDRIX, my love is rock based, but hell I like loads of other stuff. I once got dragged along to see a french guy Sacha Distel in the west end, my worst nightmare I thought, he was actually a very gifted guitar player that never was shown on the TV and I had a good night. Music can always suprise us I guess, thank god. Its hard to compare with today, but those guys were great in there day and I still enjoy watching someone knock out a shads tune on YouTube, just as much as watching Joe Walsh make his guitar talk from that era or some of the kids today as long as they are playing instruments of course. its ageless, old guitars like old guitarists can still rock, especially with a Westone! ha ha

turnersmews
Registered Member

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 am

Check out the 'Strat Pack' DVD. It's Fender's 50th Anniversary of the Stratocaster concert.

Hank Marvin and his son are featured. I must confess that I was only marginally familiar with him before watching this show. His touch is amazing - the tremolo work is phenomenal. And the tone is truly beautiful.

I see where Jeff Beck gets his right hand technique - TOTALLY!!!! Does anyone else see this??

colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top