Say hello...

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Say hello...

Post by prestigenut on Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm

many thanks for the welcome ill do some pics over the weekend and yes prepared to be amazed i hope i can post them straight on the forum rather than mess about with photobucket etc i have not had a chance to check out the forum yet to see what you can and cannot do keep em peeled folks Smile just to add the guitar is very very mint with not a mark on it as i hardly used it again shame on me Wink when i bought it new i was looking for a yamaha sg2000 and saw the westone and it bowled me over if i remember right the yammy was twice the price but not twice the quality , but seeing what the yams fetch now maybe i should have bought both

prestigenut
Registered Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by prestigenut on Sun May 22, 2016 10:24 am

pics are on the members guitars page finally sussed how to work the forum enjoy

Last edited by prestigenut on Sun May 22, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

prestigenut
Registered Member

Registration date : 2016-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmcl77 on Wed May 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Hello to you all...

I have been registered since 2012 but I have been only lurking around here since then.
My first guitar was a Spectrum III, bought when I started playing guitar in 1984 and remains in my guitar arsenals to this day.
The lutherie is amazing, I always loved her, even if later on I changed the two MMK45 pups for some DiMarzios.
I recently bought a red Spectrum MX and I really dig those Magnaflux pups, I only play this one nowadays.
Studying Richie Blackmore's style right now, this MX do the job...
I have also a Thunder I and have my eyes on a Prestige 150 & 227 and a Concord I...

Voilà my Uncle Mats story...

dsmcl77
Registered Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 pm

And a good story it is too...except for the bit about waiting for 4 years to say "Hello"!
About bloody time, and welcome. Laughing

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6119
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmcl77 on Thu May 26, 2016 3:44 am

Thx Barry !

I was still forum shy at the time...

dsmcl77
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 am

Well, don't be a stranger now, mon ami!! Welcome here!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5248
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilB on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Holy moly, I can't believe there is now a web page and forum for these guitars.  The first guitar I ever bought in the mid-90s is a Dimension IV.  I tried to find information about it years ago, but could never find one exactly like mine, the reason being that mine is a blue model (which I now see listed on the web page).  Its painted all over (including the fretboard), and the finish almost looks like marble (black "streaks" throughout).

I paid a whole $320 CAD for it back then, including the case (not sure if it's original, it's a humongous case, obviously, which looks like it had some padding cut out of the back corner), strap, and a real crappy practice amp I've since parted ways with. Needless to say, I still have the guitar.  It's presently stored at my house which is being renovated (in the garage), so I'll have to get pictures of it next time I'm there!

PhilB
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi Phil and welcome to the house of nuts, or as some Canucks would say, "la maison de noix"! geek Looking forward to seeing your DimIV

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmcl77 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Phil, and welcome.
Please, DO post pics Thumb Up

dsmcl77
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Welcome to the forum PhilB.

Did you say Dimension-IV!!!???

PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS.... Twisted Evil
Laughing

DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 am

Metal Head Welcome to the forums. Always nice to see another pointy model fan. Hope to see photos of that Blue Dim IV if you still have it.

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 706
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilB on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 pm

Here we go.  I tried to get it in different light, to try to see the finish a little better.  Also note the case with the matching interior colour.  I also tried zooming in to see the finish nuances (the "marbling" effect, I call it)

PhilB
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilB on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Full resolution pictures:

philb.ca/DimensionIV

(apparently, I can't post links yet.  Go go the above URL.)

PhilB
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmcl77 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Nice Thumb Up .

Those translucent colors are hard to catch on pic...

You got a great Westy. Congrats.

dsmcl77
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Yeah, it's really hard to photograph the pearlescence of the firemaple with the blue overcoat.
They're a visual treat in 'person' for sure, but very hard to convey via photo.
Congrats fellow Canuck, very nice model indeed!
And in good shape too.
The coated fretboard takes some getting used to as well.
Very easy to overbend =)

DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilB on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:00 pm

DimensionIV-addict wrote:Yeah, it's really hard to photograph the pearlescence of the firemaple with the blue overcoat.
They're a visual treat in 'person' for sure, but very hard to convey via photo.
Congrats fellow Canuck, very nice model indeed!
And in good shape too.
The coated fretboard takes some getting used to as well.
Very easy to overbend =)

Yeah, very hard to capture the nuances of the marbling in pictures.

It's in decent shape, obviously has scratches and dings, and there is one small dent in the neck (in the blue coating, boo!), but it doesn't really affect playing much.

PhilB
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Gnarly on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:11 am

Hello,

Just picked up one of these (bottom photo).  Unfortunately, the pickup gives a very weak signal...any ideas?  

I also ran across an electra/westone so I bought it too.  I will receive it monday and it looks like it has a p/j pickup config.

cheers

Rob Gnarly
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RedCrowBleeding on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi 

long time owner (30yrs) of westone - only got around to learning over the last 2 years, thanks to rocksmith 2014 inspiration (an inspite of various mates that promised to teach me but never actually got around to it).

currently playing
non moded westone thunder jet guiatr
modded washburn HB35 (seymour duncan slash pickups and wilkson roller saddle)
non modde Ibanez AEG24II
non moded tanglewood super nashville

as you can see from above i've definitely got the 'bug'

RedCrowBleeding
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi Red and welcome!
Never too late to get the bug and RAWK it owt! Razz

Barry

Back to top Go down

Thunder Jet owner

Post by Red Lum on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi all,

The first guitar I ever owned was a Thunder Jet back in 1990. Unfortunately, it's been in my dad's shed for the last ten years or so. Next time I visit my folks I intend to dig it out and start restoring it, but I have no idea what sort of state it will be in. 

I expect the wood will be fine, but the electrics might be shot. We'll see.

I've been thinking about that guitar a lot lately, and thought I'd google around to see if there were others with fond memories of Westone guitars - and what do ya know, I found a whole forum full of us Smile

cheers from Melbourne, Australia

Red Lum

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by David_A on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Red Lum, and welcome. I hope the Thunder has survived its neglect, it's solidly built.

David_A
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:27 pm

G'day there from another resident in Australia!!

Nice to have you on board and I'm sure you'll find your Thunder Jet in good order, eh; they are pretty much built to survive any kind of holocaust!! The pots may, indeed, need a squirt of contact cleaner and the strings replaced but I'm prepared to bet you'll be good to go!

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

I've had a Spectrum MX for 30 years now-

Post by Bucky Toothface on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:37 am

Hey, guys. I'm Bucky and my mom bought me my first electric Guitar in mid 1985 and it was the blue Spectrum MX. It's the guitar I learned how to play and I have to say that after 30 years, this guitar is holding up really well. I've had my ups and downs with it but I'll die with this guitar in my possession. So quickly, I just want to give my ups-

ups- quality instrument. Will stay in tune, even when sitting in the closet for a few years at a time. It refuses to go out of tune. And the tuning keys have always held up. They are not loose or wobbly. Also, the Spectrum's body shape is still rad to look at, even after several decades. And I know this guitar so well, I learned how to play by feel and gauge and with out depending much on seeing the fret board markers. And of course, it sits well in your lap and is comfortable to play. And it just feels good in your hands. And everyone who plays guitar who see it always have good things to say about it and they tripout on its appearance. Oh, and moms got it for me, so you know that makes it rad to begin with!

the downs- the pickups are cheap. They work and sound decent, but they are low quality pickups. You guys know what I mean. Also, the fret board is not a wood. I don't know how good or bad that is. And I never understood the tremolo system bridge. It's all out of whack. Maybe I will find info here to straighten it out. And maybe that's it? And the same color of the fret board and neck as the body has at times bothered me. 

Anyway, I'm looking to FINALLY change out the pickups soon (perhaps old school DiMarzio's?) and possibly replacing the neck. Also, i would like to have all the guts replaced with all new electronics. Mine are getting old.

Ok, see you around, and unless you've had your own Westone, you really can't explain their specialness.

(will ad photos as soon as I figure how to add them)

Bucky Toothface

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Bucky and welcome.
I can assure you that your fret board is indeed made of wood! It is hard Maple, the same as the rest of the neck.

Unlike a Telecaster or Strat with a maple fret board for example, what is different about these translucent models is that the body finish (coloured polyethylene) was continued to completely cover the neck...back and front! Very unusual.

What you're no doubt responding to is the glossy finish "feel" under your fingers. It took me awhile to get used to my Spectrum SX too. It's kind of like playing on glass, and I find you need to be diligent in wiping the sweat off.

The necks on the Spectrum line are among the best there is. I would think twice before removing it and I would not recommend removing the fret board finish unless you plan to completely strip the neck too. I don't think you'd be able to make a neat transition at the fret edge and it would likely not feel comfortable. And I think you'd also ruin the look of the guitar, but it's yours to do with as you like eh?

Lots of info on the internet about how to properly set up a tremolo bridge. It ain't rocket science, more of a balancing act between the string tension and the springs.

Finally, yes the "UBC" humbucker pickups are known to be thin sounding. If you can find an MMK45 it would make a huge difference. Otherwise any good quality pup would give better results. Up to you if you wish to also change out the single coil pups too.

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bucky Toothface on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Ok, Barry. Thanks for the welcome. And I'll be checking in from time to time. Meanwhile, I'll be scouting all the posts and getting info on any work I plan to do with my Spectrum.

And as far as changing the neck- maybe I won't replace it. Like I said, it holds its tune like I've never seen a guitar do and it does make the Westone stand out as far as being one entire color. The fret board does feel like paying on glass (good point) but it's not really a big deal. Mainly, I just want to get back to using it more and having better pickups will be the reason why. We'll see ya around and thx for the welcome-

Bucky Toothface

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 pm

It's an odd feature, the coloured neck, but it's not a bad thing at all! I have the red one and whilst it's not on the rack at the moment, it was last month! I find it as easy to play as any guitar I have; the coloured fretboard makes not a whit of difference, as far I'm concerned.

My MX has an OEM MMK45 at the bridge and sounds epic; and given that the received wisdom is that the Matsumoku pickups closely resemble the early DiMarzio pickups so they would be a good fit, eh!

The only caveat I have regarding swapping out pickups is that I'd be putting in premium grade ones like Duncans, Bareknuckles or the like. Otherwise, go nuts!

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

New user from Spain!

Post by Heliwr on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:48 am

Hi Everyone!

My name is Javier, and I´m from Madrid, Spain. I´m the proud new owner of a red finished 1983 Westone Thunder 1A. The instrument´s surprised me so much, it´s a great quality one, with a fine finish and an impressive tone.

I´d like to do some good friends, to help as I can and be helped.

I apologize in advance about my english, that for sure could be better; I promise I´ll do my best.  tongue

See you Here!

Heliwr

Registration date : 2016-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:49 am

Hola Javier! Welcome.
Start a new thread and post some pictures of your Thunder. We'd love to see it.

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by ito18 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 am

Hi all,

My name is Guido near Piacenza Italy, i'm 50

Recently i bought an used FX spectrum (candy red) for 100 €  

remember reading a review on an old italian guitar magazine past in the '80 

i'm very happy with the sound and look of this Guitar 

Ciao

ito18

Registration date : 2016-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Ciao Guido. Welcome to the Westone Forums.
A lot of us here have Spectrums and really like them. You will have to wait 7 days before you can post but we love pictures here and would like to see your red FX!

Please make a new post in the Member's Westones forum when you can. Smile

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:56 am

Yeah, welcome here, Guido!!

Spectrum FXs are swanky and I'd like one very much indeed but alas; the opportunity has only arisen once, a long time ago in New Zealand but the dealer wouldn't haggle so he kept it!!

...yep, like to see yours when you're able to post pix!

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: