I've had a moment of weakness....again!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I've had a moment of weakness....again!

Post by DuoFuzz on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm

"Forgive me father for I have sinned...."

Yes, it happened again, I've fallen of the GAS sobriety wagon!

I decided to get out the house last Sunday and have a look around a local flea market. I've been avoiding anything guitar related that might tempt me for a while and I wasn't expecting to find any trouble at the market, then I found this....

It's a Teisco made guitar, but I have no idea what model. It was filthy when I got it so I completely took it to bits to clean and repair it. All the mounting screws in the pickguard and bridge have been replaced due to rust, six of them needed drilling out.
The body is the finest solid plywood and is only 11/4" thick! It could really do with a re-fret in the near future, some of the fretwires areas low as 0.5mm (0.020"). I fitted and cut a new nut and also polished the grooves out of the zero fret.

The headstock logo is missing but a quick search on Ebay found an identical guitar called an Audition (a UK brand name I think) so I guess that's what it is, still don't know what the model is and info seems thin on the ground? Apparently this has one of them new-fangled steel reinforced necks, must have been a selling point in the late 60's/early 70's!

The trem still needs a bit of work, the stud that holds the arm in place is worn and pops out, and part of the mechanism inside has cracked. They're not causing a problem at the moment but they need fixing. The pickups put out a mighty 2.45k output each! They're wired in series like a Danelectro, so the output doubles with both pickups on together.

While I was taking shots of the Audition I thought I'd dig out my Dads old Teisco built Jedson for comparison.

These were made by Teisco for Jedson and the Jedson brand name seems to come from John.E.Dallas & SON, later known as Dallas Arbiter, more info on Jedson can be found HERE.

The production of these seems a bit random, I've yet to see another one of these with the same set-up of pickups and trem.

So there you go, a slightly crude and kinda crap but cool couple of Japanese made guitars, hope you like them!

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Re: I've had a moment of weakness....again!

Post by kebabage on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Absolutely amazing! I especially love the tort! You don't get it like that these days, and the thin binding on the neck!!! I'm hoping to come across a Teisco at market or car boot. How much can one expect to pay these days?

kebabage
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Hey, she's got a great retro vibe about her Dan!
And if she doesn't play worth a poop she'll look good on the wall! clown

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6020
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 am

Good catch Duo Fuzz Cool

This makes me feel old! I remember Teiscos and Jedsons (and Kay guitars, as sold at Woolworths!) from the 70s when they used to change hands for low s. All collectable now.

Love the whammy bars on these, no danger of losing one of those Wink

norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 am

norfolkngood wrote:...Love the whammy bars on these, no danger of losing one of those
Laughing
Also doubles as a letter opener and shoe horn...both of which are pretty much obsolete items too.
Nice how it all comes together in oblivion, eh?

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry for the late reply ladies and gents, had no broadband all day!!! affraid

Anyhoo, I picked this one up for 45.

The prices for these things are very random, there's been a few Teisco made guitars including Top Twenty's (another UK brand) on Ebay recently and these have gone for as little as 20-30! On the other hand, some of the glitzy Teisco Del Rey models with four pickups and stripy alloy pickguards (Google them!) can go for 500+!!! I'd love one of the the three or four pickup models, they look awesome, I just like the fact they're not Fender or Gibson based at all.

Got to remember though, the build quality on these things was hit and miss. Mainly it's down to bad frets, razor sharp and badly dressed, also the bridges on many of these isn't adjustable for intonation so don't expect perfection!

Mine's not quite right yet but it plays well and sounds better that you'd expect, in fact it sounds kinda honky, like a banjo! . The strange thing is that the whole guitar resonates while you play it, any open strings your not even playing start to ring, plus the springs in the trem act like a reverb tank!

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

DuoFuzz wrote:...the springs in the trem act like a reverb tank!
Kewl! Cheaper than buying a vintage amp with a spring tank! geek

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 pm

My first electric guitar was a Tiesco which I never knew as it had no name on the headstock when I bought it from a junk shop in 1974. I customised it and performed with it for 15 years before I eventually bought a new guitar. Mind you, after breaking the head off it 3 times on stage and wearing the frets down to the board, I thought is was time for a change. I still have the Tiesco and after I bought a new guitar I refretted it and now it plays better now than it ever did. I don't use it anymore but I can't bring myself to dismantle it. I will post a photo of it below if I am able. It does say John Birch on the headstock, which I painted on, as I customised it using two John Birch Hyperflux G humbuckers and three John Birch single coil Strat pickups (wired in stereo). I only put the name on the headstock after I kept getting knocked back from band auditions, when some other guy with a Fender showed up who couldn't play as well, but the band who were auditioning used to go, "wow a fender, your in!" As soon as I put the name on the headstock... I was hired at the next audition.

umpdv5000

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 pm

This was exactly as my guitar was when I first bought it (the picture is Brian Eno of Roxy Music)...

umpdv5000

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:28 pm

Cool! Cool

I really like it mate, nice one.

I get a bit bored with all the Strat and Les Paul clones knocking about these days. There's nothing wrong with them (I own plenty myself), I just think different is good. That's why I got mine, they look kinda funky!

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top