Thunder III trem arm

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thunder III trem arm

Post by DreamRaven on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Steve777 wrote:Are your trem pivot pins riding up out of the body? I only mention this as mine sit flush. Just an observation ....

Looking at Thorn's picture and comparing it to my picture further up, it does appear that the pivot pins (assuming that the 'pins' topped with a flat type screw, on the pickup side of the trem are the pivot pins) on my Thunder III are not as flush to the body as Thorns.

I have not made any adjustments to them, is that going to effect its action or how it plays in any way, good or bad?

Should I do something about them?

Talk about domino effect! Got me worried now!

DreamRaven

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Seems that Corsair answered this before I could post it!

Cheers... Do I need to detach the strings, or just use moderate force whilst the strings are in place?

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Whatever way you do it you will need to retunre and reset the action afterwards. I would try just pushing them in with everything in place, if it needs more force I'd remove the trem and the two studs and tap them back flush with the body with a rubber mallet - I wouldn't try that with the trem in place as that might damage the threads. Take a rough measure of the height of the studs first, they'll need screwed out to about the same height once the mounts are flush.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm

corsair wrote:Yay... sort of; you're no further ahead but at least you know what's going on!!! And yeah; you can see why you reached the conclusion you did!! And is that brass/bronze, or gold plating? I'd suspect plating as brass wouldn't hold the edge for the pivot???

The saddles might be brass, the rest of it is plated.
Much further ahead now - replaced the sustain block with one off a later precision tremelo (Which is slightly different - the only difference is a groove on the top. It's exactly the same as the Bendmaster FT sustain block, the groove is for the rod that holds the fine tuner levers in place on the FT) and put on the arm and collar from the Spectrum III, and it all works perfectly.

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:17 am

Thorn wrote:Whatever way you do it you will need to retunre and reset the action afterwards. I would try just pushing them in with everything in place, if it needs more force I'd remove the trem and the two studs and tap them back flush with the body with a rubber mallet - I wouldn't try that with the trem in place as that might damage the threads. Take a rough measure of the height of the studs first, they'll need screwed out to about the same height once the mounts are flush.

I slackened the strings, but didn't completely destring the 'tar. When the strings were loose, and the screws were undone slightly, the tremelo slid out easily. A slight amount of pressure and a light tap from a rubber hammer made them flush, as displayed in your pictures above. Putting everything back and undoing the screws even more brought the string level at the tremolo back to the original 17mm from the body. Guitar retuned, spent the next hour diddling around and doing my 'daily rehearsal' (aka pretending to know all the scales on the fret board, but not really).

A tremelo arm magically appeared through my door this morning, too. It is a sweet fit and looks as if it belonged there! I am not an expert on tremolo action or sound, but the bar does a similar job to that on my other Fender Strat style axe, so I assume all is as it should be. I might leave it on this one for a while to see if I can use it at any point. It does have the benefit, at the moment, to staying where you put it, keeping it out of the way when not in use.

Those Westone 'tar elves are an amazing bunch. I will be offering my undying loyalty to them by the light of the moon at midnight tonight! lol!

The DreamRaven

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top