Thunder 2A UK Ebay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thunder 2A UK Ebay

Post by Annoying Twit on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Westone-Thunder-2A-Electric-Guitar-1983-Model-Matsumoku-/320574297595?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa3b795fb

I do think these look better in a natural finish.

Annoying Twit

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Thunder 2A UK Ebay

Post by bowenjaybee on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

WARNING!!!

I actually owned this guitar back in May for a whole 24 hours until I demanded my money back from the rather dishonest seller who said it was "in excellent condition with just a few minor scratches" I was nearly sick when it arrived... the guitar has some really nasty dings down the side of the neck and headstock. The tailpiece and bridge screws have been butchered with a screwdriver. The frets are really badly marked from string bending and some of the frets have deep pitting in places and in my opinion are beyond any kind of levelling and would need to be replaced.............ok I guess if the guitar wasn't so expensive it would be great for a restoration project as it sounded excellent and is a lovely colour.

he's re-listed the guitar and yet again does not give an honest description so any potential buyers on here beware!! it looks very nice in the photos but you will be in for a shock.

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

the seller has added "has noticeable freetwere" [sic] and the price is slowly dropping

bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks for the warning!!

bobroberts

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:51 am

less than an hour to go, the price has dropped to 164.99 and postage is now 10 he's obviously desperate to sell, it makes me so mad that someone else will be stung by this guitar. why can't he just be a bit more honest about the condition of the frets and just auction it off and put an end to his heartache!!

bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 am

I'd give him 80 + 10 p&p, and then spend 140 on a re-fret with "Evo Wire" (*)

I suspect it isn't going to happen, because if he 99p start-ed it, someone wouldn't know about the frets and outbid me. Or, even with the frets, 80 may be a ridiculously low price which I'd never win.

(*) contingent on me checking the claims of a local luthier about this wire.

Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:01 am

164.99!!!
oh dear...!

bobroberts

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:54 pm

bobroberts wrote:
164.99!!!
oh dear...!

Well, someone bought it. I'd guess, no-one from this forum

Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

safe to assume, i reckon..!

bobroberts

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerfox on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Yep folks, the person who bought it was me. Hoax warned me off but something said yes. The sound is amazing and with a little tweak of the bridge the buzzing has gone. There again, I am not a collector and the frets will last a good couple of years which is okay by me. I have an old Antoria Prostar which makes the frets on this one look good and have been playing it for 15 years with no problem.

TTFN

Chris

prayerfox
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Nice one Chris!

The price was much higher when we spoke.

To be honest, I was kicking myself for not having a stab at it myself at the final price. Oh and welcome to you.

Graham

hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 am

prayerfox wrote:Yep folks, the person who bought it was me. The sound is amazing

Hi Chris and welcome to the crazy world of Westone

I think 164.99 was a good price and will be worth spending a bit of cash to sort it out and yes it does sound great. I paid 259 for it and I was not happy with the condition at all and I was pretty pi**ed off with the seller who described it as having "a few minor knocks but otherwise in excellent condition" absolute bull! he hadn't even bothered to clean it and when I saw those frets..oh dear!!.....I don't regret getting a refund at all

Thunder IIA's are my favourite Westone but this one was not for me.

Jay

bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerfox on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi Graham and Jay

I eventually managed to gain entry to this esteemed gathering at the second go Graham. Must have done something wrong the first time - not unusual for me!

I messaged the seller offering 150 in light of the potential problems and they reduced the price to 164.99 plus knocked 5 off the postage which I took as reasonable. They're having a lot of personal problems apparently, having to sell a shop and spending most of their time visiting hospital so that could be put forward in mitigation. I do agree with you though Jay, 259 was way over the top and I don't think I would have been best pleased if, having parted with that amount of money based on the original description, the guitar had landed on my doorstep in poor condition. A few applications of Gerlitz Guitar Honey (an outstanding product which you've more than likely heard of and use) has made the fingerboard like silk and the low frets rather suit my idle style of playing. One thing I have noticed is the difference the solid maple body makes to the tone. It seems to have more of an edge than the earlier IIAs. However, I didn't realise how much solid maple weighs - it seems heavier than mahogany. This would have made a perfect "club guitar" in my time with a blues band - when the fights broke out you could use it as a club!! No one would come back for more after a gentle stroke from this thing.

I'm somewhat ashamed to say I prefer a guitar with a "live in" look - it makes it a bit like me. I bought a 1984 Thunder 1A a couple of years ago and found it was literally new old stock when I got it home. The light semi matt delivery coating on the back of the neck was still intact (it isn't now) but I've been terrified of playing it in case I do any damage. It's sat in a case and only rarely taken out. At least I don't have to worry about the IIA and I can get to the top frets without performing hand contortions!

I now have three Westones. Thunder IA, Concord III and this Thunder IIA. I'd like a Thunder II for the PEQ tone controls and that would about wrap it up for me as I'm not a collector. It may be old age setting in but the guitars I have are here for their natural sound rather than the addition of multiple effects.

Thank you so much for your warm welcome.

TTFN

Chris

prayerfox
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top