Denmark Street...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Denmark Street...

Post by corsair on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 am

... in London was a bit of an anti-climax, really; I don't know what I was expecting, but there were wall to wall guitar shops but only one seemed to carry a fairish range of 2nd hand stuff, which all seemed to be 60s and 70s; no 80s stuff that I could find and definitely no Westones!! In fact, there were no Westones at all in any of the shops; I know this because I asked in every shop! Plenty of new, shiny gear though, but none of it lit the fires any... oooh, except for a Jimmy Page Les Paul which just looked incredible... and a Gretsch Thinline acoustic/electric.... and an Ovation Breadwinner... Hanks Acoustics was fabulous - no Matsumokus but what a beautiful selection of lovely wood there was hanging on the walls; I spent a good hour just in there; wife and kids getting pretty toey by this stage, hanging around in Soho...

I was so down-hearted that I only took these 3 pictures of the general street view....

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5210
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Denmark Street...

Post by Barry on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 am

Bummer. Neutral
Now, since this is a major urban centre, what's the interpretation of this experience, I wonder.
You say 60's and 70's gear was well represented (hey, not so bad, if you have bags of money) but not much from the 80's.

Does that mean:
  1. There was nothing but domestic junk made during this time and people just ain't interested in the "big" names from this period?
  2. The Matsumoku 'word' is really out there on the street and all available Westies and their cousins have been religiously snapped up and are being hoarded as investments?
  3. Westbone has bought them all already?
  4. All the above?
  5. None of the above?

Another wanderer from the colonies has his hopes dashed in the big city. No pot of Mats gold for Johnny. Sad

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6023
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

What a sad story, the Westones are being hoarded and none are to be found. Crying or Very sad

Baluski
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 am

On my first trip to Denmark Street I found something very similar to what you did. At the time I wasn't even aware of Westones, so wasn't looking.

What I was looking for was a black electro/acoustic as it is what I had promised myself when I felt that I was at the right ability to deserve one.

I went to every shop up there, and only found one guitar, an Ovation at £900, which was way out of my price league. I had been in Hank's once, when it was very busy. There is almost no floor space in that shop, let alone passing space.

I was so not confident about guitars, other than my total lack of knowledge about them. Anyhoo, having spent the whole day looking at all guitars, I went back to Hank's, and there on a floor stand, right in front of me was a Takamini G-series in black, ticking all the boxes, and was the same as a guitar I had tried in Brighton's GAK a few weeks back, but in BLACK! I asked the price, it was too expensive. I made an offer (the shop was literally closing down around my ears), they accepted it, threw in a bag, capo and set of strings and swept the cash out of my hands.

Until I had a Westone fall in my lap that Takamini was my go to Guitar, and still is for 'unpowered' strumming. Heartily recommend Hank's, but GAK in Brighton, and Guitar World in Farnham are also well spoken of for range, and knowledge.

DreamRaven

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 am

I don't know what to think, but my impressions are that Denmark St primarily deals with new gear and the 2nd hand stuff is elsewhere.... or Westbone's got it all!!! Laughing

There was a power of Teisco & similar stuff at the one shop that did have 2nd hand stuff but the prices'd make your eyes water!!

I'm inclined to think that good deals in Britain may be confined to 2nd hand shops in the minor cities/smaller towns but I stand willing to be corrected!!

We all loved London, though we were also bloody happy to get on the plane home at Southampton!! (Where we saw a Lancaster and a Spitfire take off in front of us!! Score!!) Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5210
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:57 pm

corsair wrote:...we saw a Lancaster and a Spitfire take off in front of us!! Score!!
Excellent! cheers

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6023
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Give us a chance lads, I've been after these for the last 18 years. It's taken a while.
Denmark street, well it's almost as bad as Newkingsroad guitars, fulham, you want to see prices Shocked

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I was in Denmark Street last Saturday and it's not what it used to be. Nearly all new stuff and high prices but I think that some of the prices were shall we say "negotiable" for folding readies, so maybe the recession is having an impact. The shop Corsair found with the old guitars is, I guess, Vintage and Rare. They do have some wonderful old gear from the 60s and 70s and even earlier but their prices... hells bells!

John --- did you spot that Jeff Beck relic Tele in the window of V&R? £2,500+ and it looked like some ASBO artist had thrashed it with a bike chain! It didn't even look well-played and road-worn just knackered!

What really p*ssed me off was that I'd gone there to hunt out some bits for my Westones. Couple of strap buttons for the Concord, some old-school pot knobs, few other bits & bobs. OK, not a big sale but with the honourable exception of one guitar tech who's got a basement workshop under one of the shops and let me root through his drawer of stuff-that-might-come in-handy-one-day, everyone else couldn't be bothered.

So if Tin Pan Alley can't keep us going with Westones, what's left? You guessed it, keep scouting ebay. They are out there cyclops

norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top