Hi, using guitar attenuator or buy smaller amp

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hi, using guitar attenuator or buy smaller amp

Post by corsair on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Most points mentioned are valid, and I, too, used a 100W tube amp right till the end, but I'm convinced that was, as has been stated, simply for my benefit, not the people listening. It is a simple premise, really; we all hear things differently and I'm not convinced that I'd've carried around all of that heavy equipment if there was a decent digital equivalent - there wasn't; the stuff available was not very good at all, but the stuff I'm piddling around with now is great for what I'm doing, and I'd be happy enough recording with it!! Very Happy

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

All down to preference isnt it? Saw Jeff Beck using a small boutique combo mic'ed up and didnt Zappa go straight into the PA through a preamp? Both these of course rely on decent sound engineers and fold back but you can get all of the same effects but with more control of the overall sound this way (by the engineer that is not just one of the musicians).

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I knew my endorsement of modelers for practice would be met by opposition.

Tube amps are great.

Modelers are cheap and easy.

Follow your dream...AND your budget.

colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

colt933 wrote:
The tube purists will crucify me for saying this, but all of the PODs sound pretty good IMHO.

OK, I've been crucified.

colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:11 am

Point is that for given circumstances i agree with you too,and that is at apt volumes.

IMO what can be done at "neighbour friendly" volumes is limited to say the least and at those levels it doesnīt matter what you use.
To the point where under those circumstances a tube amp is just a damn waste.

To come clean though,but please have in mind that i mod and build my own,i DO have a valve amp standing around my dwelling as well.
Rather pointless though..

The more i play with the band of mine the more dependant i get of my various valve amps.
To the point where iīve turned into a real tube taliban,and i kind of frown on my own prefs.
Honestly.

Itīs come to the point where i basicaly use no effects what so ever.
Axe,hose,amp,cab.
Thatīs it.

As some of you know iīve come to get hooked by the semis lately,and their to me absolutely beutiful and natural feedback ability through a semi has me completely swept off my feet.
Nuances...and one of the semis will reacts differently than the next.
The Daion Headhunter i just bought being more rock n roll from that respect than my TA as an example.

That for instance an area where a modeler or transistor unti fall flat on its face into the mud IMO.

Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

Racing wrote:Point is that for given circumstances i agree with you too,and that is at apt volumes.

IMO what can be done at "neighbour friendly" volumes is limited to say the least and at those levels it doesnīt matter what you use.
To the point where under those circumstances a tube amp is just a damn waste.

To come clean though,but please have in mind that i mod and build my own,i DO have a valve amp standing around my dwelling as well.
Rather pointless though..

The more i play with the band of mine the more dependant i get of my various valve amps.
To the point where iīve turned into a real tube taliban,and i kind of frown on my own prefs.
Honestly.

Itīs come to the point where i basicaly use no effects what so ever.
Axe,hose,amp,cab.
Thatīs it.

As some of you know iīve come to get hooked by the semis lately,and their to me absolutely beutiful and natural feedback ability through a semi has me completely swept off my feet.
Nuances...and one of the semis will reacts differently than the next.
The Daion Headhunter i just bought being more rock n roll from that respect than my TA as an example.

That for instance an area where a modeler or transistor unti fall flat on its face into the mud IMO.

So I just got a Boogie 3-channel dual rectifier with matching 4x12 recto cab.

It is a monster and tubes are great!

colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top