Your Favorite Song

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Favorite Song

Post by danagos on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 pm

It occurs to me that most players might have a song running through their heads that they want to play & may be able to solve to whatever extent. confused

My current fantasy (among many) involves playing guitar in Nina Simone's band while she does "Do I Move You". A great blues tune that hasn't been covered too much.

I play it: Am, with a bit of noodling and repetitous bass line, followed by Em (on the yes, yes, yes part) sliding down to Dm on "that pleases me". The bass line, as I play it, is: e - g - c - a. Well it goes on from there. It's on itunes. :?:

What about you all, faves, current/past/enduring?

danagos

danagos
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Favorite Song

Post by bowenjaybee on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:30 pm

I have just been figuring out the song Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush... the song is just perfect...piano, guitars, bass, drums, strings, the production, the arrangement and her voice..Wow!! I love every part... After 30 odd years of hearing it I could never get bored of that song or Kate's other work. Ian Bairnson's guitar solo at the end is really nice, simply played but the perfect solo for a perfect song..

A past favourite from my bass playing days is Jamiroquai's too young to die, I'm not a big fan of Jamiroquai as a band but the bass playing on that song is great and it had me up all night for weeks around 1993 trying to figure it out, it was my party piece, it seems easy to play now but at the time it was a bitch to figure out! The guy who played it Stuart Zender was only 19 when he recorded it.....amazing player.

Jay

bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by danagos on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Very kewl Jay, Cool

I'm not familiar with either song so I'm gonna look 'em up. They's gotta be on the 'net somewhere.

Dan

danagos
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

danagos wrote:

I'm not familiar with either song so I'm gonna look 'em up. They's gotta be on the 'net somewhere.

Dan

Not familiar with Wuthering Heights?? no way?? oh you are in for a shock then!!

WUTHERING HEIGHTS (link)

bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:40 pm

My favourite songs change depending on mood... probably my favourite piece to play on guitar is La Villa Strangiato by Rush, because it runs through so many moods.

The one piece of music I wish I could play (But would never try - it would almost be sacrilege) is Wesley Magoogans amazing sax solo from Hazel O'Connors Will You Don't think I've ever heard anyone pour as much raw emotion into their playing as in that song.

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Like Thorn said, favourites change like moods. I was looking for something else and found an RIP for Tony Peluso who died a few months back. He was the guitarist with The Carpenters and played the solo at the end of "Goodbye to Love" that still brings the hairs up on the back of my neck.

Mike Oldfield's solo on "Moonlight Shadow" is another one that stays in my head all day if I hear it on the radio, especially where it changes from a Strat sound to a raunchy Les Paul (I found some Youtube concert footage and he was playing a PRS to get both sounds, dunno about the original recording).

And I've heard a lot of guitarists play the solo on "All Right Now" but the way Paul Kossoff
played it on the original Free recording has stood the test of time. Not a note too many and that vibrato!! Slash overcooks it and Brian May does OK but no-one beats Koss.

norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Another Paul Kossoff fan here.

Quite possibly "Be My Friend" by Free, but I love many songs be Free. Check out the live version at the Isle of Wight concert on Youtube. It all about mood and feel.

Graham

hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by danagos on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Ahhhh Jay-san, cheers

Thank you for the link. Even with my reduced hearing capacity (just came back from the Dr. w/Antibiotic script) the song was "blow me away" good. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention the first time 'cause I was studying Kate's, uhh, choreography. Man, she's got some nice, uhh, moves. I'll have to look up the lyrics, forget playing along, starts in A then starts transposing like a Berklee grad on Mescaline. Still, a Great song, thanks.

The comments, on youtube, by BooMeRLiNSKi were hilarious! Laughing

Then I spotted Kate and Peter Gabriel doing "Don't Give Up" (v 1) and it clicked. That is one of my favorite songs by a favorite artist. Excellent video as well.

That's the kind of interaction I had hoped for from this Post. Very Happy

Dan

danagos
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Love Ian Bairnsons work with the APP... Moonlight shadow is a contender for the most unlikely-looking guitar in a song as it was a Gibbo Flying Vee! And Rush rule... up to Signals; don't like much after that!

Favourite piece to play changes from day to day, but Classical Gas is right up there; Roads to Moscow by Al Stewart, who also has a piece called 'A small fruit song' which still blows me away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_sk8bmHzo

...ummm.... for a singalong, Meet me on the corner - Lindisfarne, April sun in Cuba or Rain by Dragon. If I'm feeling adventurous perhaps Star Hotel by Cold Chisel... Baby Blue - Graham Bonnets version... the list goes on... Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrDSh7WWdZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM7RcgZ1pLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mGyOKr8frw

I've spent hours nutting out a piece called 'Hillbilly child', which is the theme to a popular NZ TV show, and I still haven't quite got it...

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:23 pm

corsair wrote: Roads to Moscow by Al Stewart
That counts as one of the pieces I can't hear without picking up a guitar and playing along with it - also his 'Eyes of Nostradamus' and 'On the Border. And of course, The Dark And The Rolling Sea. And a few others...

There are a few albums I can't resist playing along to as well -
Dire Straits - first album
Camel - The Snow Goose
Hawkwind - The Space Ritual (On bass)
Pink Floyd - wish You Were Here
Jethro tull -Aqualung

Back to top Go down

Post by danagos on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Thorn wrote:
There are a few albums I can't resist playing along to as well -
Dire Straits - first album
Camel - The Snow Goose
Hawkwind - The Space Ritual (On bass)
Pink Floyd - wish You Were Here
Jethro tull -Aqualung

Based on those I know of the Bands/Albums, I'd better look up Camel & Hawkwind. They're keeping good company.

Found myself singing "Aqualung" a capella just yesterday. Beautiful, the way JT did it I mean. pirat

Dan

danagos
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 am

No. no.... no more.... Oh, OK then, just a few...

Thorn's let the genie out of the bottle with his album comments...

Dire Straits - eponymous album and Making Movies..
Dragon - Cuts from the hard times
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
Procol Harum - Procol Harum (on keys)
CCR - Cosmos Factory
Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain
Beach Boys - Pet sounds
Cold Chisel - East
The Church - Starfish, and Of Skins and hearts
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Mother Goose - Stuffed
Metallica - Metallica

...there's more too, that I hear and have to pick up a guitar and noodle along with; I've covered just about every song on these albums at one time or another; just awesome songs to play!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:22 pm

corsair wrote:
The Church - Starfish, and Of Skins and hearts

I discovered the Church by accident. Went to Windows in Newcastle to buy The Church Of Hawkwind, they gave me the wrong album - eponymous first album, The Church (AKA of Skins and Heart). Not what I was into at the time, but the playing on Is This Where You Live was fantastic, incredibly assured for a debut album

rediscovered them a couple of years ago, can't resist playing along (Or at least air guitaring) to most of Starfish, Heyday, Priest=Aura, The Blurred Crusade...etc

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:38 am

Still my all time favorite to play...
Revelation (Mother Earth)

boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

http://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:04 pm