Westone T-shirts...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Westone T-shirts...?

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I see a few more (two or three) orders have recently gone through the Spreadshirt shop.

http://dreamraven.spreadshirt.co.uk/

I, only for marketing purposes, would be interested if anyone here were the people ordering, or, if they got through from other routes...

I am posting this to see if it gains any interest from any newer members who may not have seen the original thread.

Summer is coming, people!!

Stickers, plectrums and shirts, get 'em whilst you are 'toned!

DreamRaven

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Good looking bird logo - is it silkscreen or heat transfer? I started a thread a few weeks ago mentioning that I have custom Westone shirts in the works (I am the designer / seller of the Electra shirts on that forum). I will eventually get them done... i've just fallen into a pile of work that is paying exceptionally well and my time has been limited to create the products properly. Being a fan of the pointy models, I have Dynasty, Dimension IV and Futura shirt designs that are still "in production" (meaning, I create the vector-based illustrations myself and take a very long time to do them to spec as close as possible). At some point I will get back to these... and some other designs to (PANTERA!!!) I may even have to drive some down to Warrn in Gainesville Smile (since I am an hour away here in Florida / USA).

drsyn67

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2012-02-08

http://www.markcountscreative.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Heat transfer...

I took a hi-res macro photo of the logo on my Thunder and then traced in Illustrator... Then uploaded it to SpreadShirt, nothing 'Etsy' about it, all pretty much mass-production! Same artwork used for the pleccies, stickers, etc, etc...

I thought that I would put up the 'simple' concept to see how many bites it got, as other than the creation of the logo and setting up of the products in SpreadShirt, it didn't take too much of my time (other than still being sat in front of my LCD at 01:30!). I didn't get my arm ripped off, so I didn't take it further in the whole 'creative endeavours' of different designs, even though I have some ideas still in the back of my cranium...

Would be interested in seeing your designs, if they are available for 'viewage'...

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Here are my silkscreened, 100% preshrunk, cotton shirts for the Electra brand:

The designs I have been working on the for the Westone shirts feature silhouettes of the unusual shapes of the pointy models (and Panteras!) and inevitably will include Spectrums and Thunders.

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I used to do heat transfers, but they are paper-based and I did not have long-term success with them. I will tell you that it helps to only wash them ONLY in cold water and NEVER to put them in the dryer. They'll do fine if you do... but they last longer if you follow these suggestions. For about ten years I printed heat transfer shirts... probably did around 150 of them (it was a small hobby). Good luck and cheers.

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Nice!

If you want a copy of the logo, shout. There's no point in you drawing it as well.

Happy to put a link up on Westone.info when they are ready to go...

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 pm

The designs I have had done from Spreadshirt have survived quite well. I usually wear one shirt daily, quite often of my designs, washed in 50 or 60 deg C wash. I have a black lOng sleeve shown further up, which doesn't look far off new, almost 2 years after creation... That said, I do prefer silkscreen for 'feel'

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I had some fun for a few years working the unofficial Kiss conventions with custom designs - full-color heat transfers. Gene Simmons' attorney was not happy... (this was for a few years before the first reunion of the original lineup... long and interesting story that might bore most, so I will withhold further comment unless prodded gently).

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Consider yourself prodded.....

... And if you put the story over in non-Westone, then all will be good and well with the world!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 am

That black longsleeve is badass.... if I can use that word here on the forum. By the way, I'm in Florida (USA) and have really hard water... like drinking a can of rust, so that may have something to do with the wear and tear on the heat transfer shirts I've done. Didn't mean to come off like I was slamming your shirts or the process - my apologies. Silkscreen is the way to go tho... just darn expensive usually because most printers have a 25+ minimum quantity. I've got a good relationship with a guy that I help out on some design, so he helps me with my shirts. I still make very little money on them, but it makes some folks happy and I get connected with other Electra and Westone people, so that makes this socially-handicapped graphic designer kinda happy. The Westone shirt designs that I am doing will be really badass... if I can say that on this forum Smile

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:07 am

You didn't come across as slammin' anything dude! As is often said, 'your mileage may vary'!

My black long sleever is part of my 'gig uniform' along with a bright (radioactively bright) orange shirt that I did for a mate's band that we often support (I think it is cool when one band wears the shirts of another band on the bill) or my Bat Signal shirt (Rule one: always be yourself, unless you can be Batman, always be Batman!)

I have had a similar experience with some previous shirts, and indeed some Silk Screens that I did for a dive club that I belong to, didn't do so well, and that might have been because they were being worn on a boat, sprayed with salt water, soaked by people jumping in the sea, etc, etc and the ink had some thin lines and small text...

Spreadshirt is good for 'thinner' designs, such as the Westone logo. I got a shirt done with a large, multicoloured complex design, as an experiment for a client, and that didn't work at all. It would certainly have been more successful as a silk screen, but they only wanted three shirts, on a three screen design. What? you only want to pay £12 per shirt, including my time and effort in making the design? I am close to saying 'tough luck, client of mine!' Where as, text and nothing with a large flat area of ink, they work well. They have got a couple of new 'digital print' processes that, whilst do not have the vibrancy of heat transfer, are 'similar' to the silk screen 'feel'.

The best thing is that you can get ONE shirt printed, when it is ordered, rather than having to get 30 or 50 printed and then have them hanging around in a box waiting to be sold. That is what the Westone shirts are. Printed when someone from here remembers that they wanted one (I would still have 30 in a box, if I have got them silk screened! majorly out of pocket then!).

I am looking forward to your BadAss (or if you are in the UK: BadArse) designs. If you ask my other half you would know how much of a sucker I am for a shirt... I don't want to commit to buying one, but when the designs are ready to go, post em up. If they are as BadAss as your Electra ones, I am sure there may be a few that will find their way across the pond...

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

A US t-shirt option to be available soon...

Post by DreamRaven on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am

Having had a conversation with the esteemable Corsair and the fact that my UK shop will not ship to the Australasian continent...

I am in the process of opening a US based t-shirt shop, which will mean that I can ship Worldwide, and the packing costs, along with shirt costs will be notably cheaper for all those people who buy in the US$

I have uploaded the designs to the shop and am awaiting approval from the supplying company. When that happens I will then get the chance to create some products, which will be identical to the UK products, unless anyone has a particular colour way or clothing types that you guys want to buy.

Again, as with plectrums and stickers, they will be priced at cost, so if you want something shout now!

Last edited by DreamRaven on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 pm

To respond to Corsair's prodding... here's my "Simmons Attorney" story...

This was an advertisement that displayed six of nine T-shirt designs (full-color heat transfers) that I created and sold in the early 1990s. In the world of "Kissdom", there were nine concerts that were pro-shot and widely available at unofficial conventions before the days of "KISSOLOGY" dvd sets. I came up with the idea that each concert was such an event to the serious fan, that they would want shirts commemorating the shows. I researched the shows and created poster-style event designs that listed everything from ticket prices, to the name of the promoters (for shows from 1973-1979), etc. It was not easy, but an enjoyable hobby. All it took was one threatening letter from Gene Simmons attorney to end the fun... one year later, the band regrouped, put on the makeup and started selling shirts at every city with that city's name and date as the only thing on the shirt... The modern ones didn't sell well (I checked after the shows in NYC and JAX), but mine did (HA). Guess you can't intentionally create "history". (Kinda funny... I'm selling the Electra shirts for the same price! Is it 1993?)

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 pm

~ Oops, sorry Corsair... I put the story here. Sorry, everyone!

drsyn67

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:01 am

Show me the Dynasty shirt... Very Happy

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am

What would you call a 'Dynasty Shirt'?

There is already a red shirt with a black logo and a black shirt with a red logo... I could do a 'white' (which according to my images is really 'off white' or 'cream') with a red logo...

The black Dynasty appears to have a similar 'off white' logo on the headstock with red text (at least on the models shown on Westone.info), so that is an option too...

Give me colours of shirt and logo, and it shall be done...

DreamRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 am

Was referring to drsyn67's comment of:

"Being a fan of the pointy models, I have Dynasty, Dimension IV and Futura shirt designs that are still "in production" (meaning, I create the vector-based illustrations myself and take a very long time to do them to spec as close as possible)."

I'd like to see a Red Dynasty on a black shirt, just a silhouette something like this but a little less clean and perfect and more rocker-esque...

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top