Spectrum Series 2 Sky Blue SP

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spectrum Series 2 Sky Blue SP

Post by Minty on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks Chad.

I plugged it in this weekend - bad news, very low and noisy output. I'm guessing it's either one of the pots or the jack socket since it's there no matter what pick up I select.

But, no matter. The guitar will be going to my mate's luthier dad who's gong to sort the neck and frets. I will be on the hunt for a blue DiMarzio Tone Zone humbucker so it's back to how it was when I was in love with it. At that point I'll be replacing all the electrics - with the exception of the single coils.

My apologies to all the purists here who are probably having a turn at me doing that. I will be keeping all the bits (including the wires) that I remove Wink

Anyhow, what about the trem fine tuners and the microswitches - are these available anywhere?

Minty
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 am

Mini switches are a standard item at any decent electronics shop - I bought mine in Dunedin, NZ for about NZ$5 the lot!!

The fine tuners seem to be peculiar to the Bendmaster Deluxe - the Bendmaster FT fine tuners are the right thread pitch but much longer, and FR fine tuners seem to slop about in the threads, possibly because they are Imperial and the BD is metric? I did find some fine tuner bolts that fitted in a now-defunct music shop but they were from a Hofner superstrat of the 80's, and are probably even more rare!!

I have a spare BD bridge that I bought sans fine tuners and my solution was to get a model making friend to create some caps for standard Allen head bolts; worked well and they even have my initials on them!

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t312-fine-tuning-screws-for-bendmaster-deluxe-tremolo?highlight=fine+tuners

And no-one's gonna give you any grief about swapping pickups out, mate - we're all realists as well as purists!! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks Corsair!

My mate (yes, the one I keep referring to in this thread - I do have more than one though Wink ) has just called, he's been handed an obsolete floyd style trem from a Fernandes at work (he's in the trade - sales manager at a wholesaler), he said it's gold and the trem arm socket is knackered, but it has black fine tuners - so he's bringing that home in the hope that they'll fit.

The pickup I want to put in there is not readily available, but the same mate called the UK importers of DiMarzio and has agreed a trade price for me to get one made and shipped by DiMarzio in January (less than RRP of the standard off the shelf).

The same mate got me 3 micro switches, they are about 3mm longer than the orignals and they are only 2 way, whereas the humbucker switch on the guitar now is 3 way - but I'm not bothered, I don't think I'd want to split the coils anyway.

This mate, BTW, he is my idol - got me backstage with Extreme and I got my N4 signed by Nuno (after 19 years of worship!), we've been friends since school (over 20 years) and he's probably getting sick of me saying the words "Thank You!" yet, he always has time to help, no matter what.

I am very lucky.

Minty
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 am

We should all be as lucky!! Very Happy

The miniswitches I got were on/off, x 2 and on/off/on; I'm surprised that you couldn't get 'em! I think, too, if that bridge pickup is the same as the one in my Clippers, then it's not really a true h/b; rather it's just 2 singles, so a proper h/b will give a much thicker sound.

Fernandes is Japanese, isn't it... in which case you might have struck gold!! (see what I did there??)

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:47 am

Laughing

Minty
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 am

Fernandes fine tuners didn't fit (thread was far too big).

Minty
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am

I'm pretty sure the thread is 4mm metric fine...

Just to rub a little salt into yer wounds here, but I just scored another complete BD bridge, complete with fine tuners for about US$40 landed in Jersey; they're still out there if you look and are patient enough!! Meanwhile just get some Allen bolts to fill in...

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 am

Allen bolts already donn the BD.

I'm not too worried, if I find something then all the better.

Just got to get the frets sorted, and maybe a refinish on the BD, definitely performing a triple bypass, once I've bought the new 'heart'

Minty
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 am

They're like fricken buses! If it were the same blue, I probably would.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300623521580&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Maybe for parts???

Minty
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top