What amp(s) are you using?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What amp(s) are you using?

Post by caucajun on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:14 am

i'm playing my prestige 250 thru a late 70's fender musicmaster bass amp w/ a 5E3 mod. that's my small gig rig, and my fave. when i need more clean power, for a larger room, i have a 90's ampeg super jet. oh, and both are TUUBE!

what's everybody else pluggin' into?

caucajun

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: What amp(s) are you using?

Post by corsair on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:51 am

Main rig is a Holden 100w tube combo with a slant fronted quad should I need extra projection, which is rarely! The amp is a 70's NZ built Marshall clone running 2x KT88s in the power section and 4x ECC 83s in the pre-amp and reverb. Bass amp is an ELFA 100w solid state combo, also ,from the 70's; this from Australia and powerful but light to cart about.
These days, though I just go straight into the board, or in smaller gigs, into the PA amp which is a much easier solution! Very Happy

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkW on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 am

I play through an early 70s (71 or 73 I can't recall) Fender Twin Reverb. It's in dire need of an overhaul as the tubes are crackling like crazy right now.

It has a beautiful warm tube tone as you'd expect. I really don't need an amp as powerful but I simply can't part with it.

MarkW
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by sticky on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:49 pm

hi,

i mainly play through a line 6 15 watt (plenty loud enough) or a 50 watt marshall acoustic amp, i think they made this one for the thunder range, perfect match, LOL.

so thats my setup... apart from the variety of boss pedals i use. (DD7, AC2, CH1, SD1, BD2 and a tuner, not boss)

bye for now,

mark.

Oh yeh i also have a HH studio 50 in the uk but it needs a look at.

Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://uk.youtube.com/user/marksticky1

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:16 am

After owning an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, then a Trace Elliot GP7, I finally found my ideal amp in the (very compact) form of the Markbass "Little Mark" II Cool . Paired with two 12" Markbass cabs, it's a very portable, very versatile and VERY loud little set-up.

Here's the full stack (with my Wal Custom MKII, which I sold last year):

Here's the half-stack configuration (still plenty loud enough for small gigs):

And here's the 2.9kg, 500w head in it's "gig bag" - a laptop case, of all things Laughing !

Finally, a rig that I can actually carry all by myself Razz !

Old Gregg

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-04-19

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/littlesiteofcalm

Back to top Go down

Post by elzorillo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:57 pm

I currently have a peavey 6505 head (bought without cab). changed my mind and realised it's gonna be to damned heavy.. about to do a straight swap for a 5150 2x12 combo.

Is that a good deal?

elzorillo
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

what amp are you using?

Post by caucajun on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 pm

i'd prefer a 5150. but, probably because i'm a "made in USA" nut. i' toured the peavey factory back in the early 90's. (it's not far from my home "20). they used to have alot of pride back then.

caucajun

Back to top Go down

Post by ppc6mm on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 am

I have a Line 6 Flextone III Plus, 1x12 Celestion, with an external cabinet, also with a 1x12 Celestion , both sitting on Auralex Gramma Isolation platforms, & a FBV shortboard footswitch.....

The Marshalls off to the sides are owned by my 2 sons.....

ppc6mm
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-16

http://www.myspace.com/ppc6mm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Well, not to be outdone by all you showoffs with your fancy amps and gizmo's: Rolling Eyes

I've got a little Fender Champion 600 Valve amp, a little Marshall G10 MKII amp and a Marshall SV-1 Supervibe Chorus Pedal! So there!!!!
Razz

Oh yeah, and I've got a pink guitar lead too!
Laughing Razz Laughing

Pauline
:flower: :queen:

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Pollyanna wrote:

Oh yeah, and I've got a pink guitar lead too!
Laughing

Oooh; I'll just bet that pink leads make it go better!! (Once again, ignore me - I have a veritable rainbow of coloured cables; none, however, pink!) Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 pm

corsair wrote:

Oooh; I'll just bet that pink leads make it go better!!

Of course!!!! Rolling Eyes

Oh, but I do have to plug it in first to make it go really well!
:arrow:

I've got red leads too but I only use them when I get my red Spectrum SX out to play!
Razz Laughing

SIGH!!! I don't know! Surprised Do you chaps not know that a girl must be colour co-ordinated in these things? :queen:

Pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by ppc6mm on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
I've got red leads too but I only use them when I get my red Spectrum SX out to play!
Razz Laughing

Pauline

Is this a little known secret?

You have to match the color of the cables to the color of the guitar?

If this is true, I have a lot more purchases to make!!!!! What a Face

ppc6mm
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-16

http://www.myspace.com/ppc6mm

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:29 am

Pollyanna wrote:I've got red leads too but I only use them when I get my red Spectrum SX out to play!

..Right!! The gloves are off.... show-off!! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 am

ppc6mm wrote:Is this a little known secret?

If this is true, I have a lot more purchases to make!!!!! What a Face

..See; all this good info you're picking up just being here?! You won't get that a your local guitar emporium!! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:51 am

ppc6mm wrote:

Most definitely!!!

Not just that though Rod, you have to have matching guitar straps as well!
Cool Oh, and if at all possible, matching outfits too! Very Happy
(Of course, Wellies are an optional accessory!) Laughing

There now! Aren't you chaps soooo glad that you have me to advise you on all these little dress code secrets?
Wink

Pauline

Last edited by Pollyanna on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something!)

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:51 pm

I use a Line 6 Pod XT Live modeller either direct for recording or into the effects return on a newer tweed Peavey Classic 30.

The little Peavey has a great clean sound. The dirty channel sucks though. And the Peavey's preamp does not take pedals well.

By running from the guitar into the POD and out of the Pod into the Peavey's effects return, I bypass the Peavey's preamp circuit and only hit the tube power section. Believe it or not, the Pod sounds even better going through the tubes and 12" guitar speaker than it does going direct into studio monitors. The tubes and guitar speaker give it a warmer tone and microphones respond well. My master volume is the output gain on the POD. None of the knobs on the Peavey do anything in this mode. The little 30 watt combo is plenty loud for local gigs.

I use lots of different models in the POD: Fender, Boogie, Marshall, Budda, Hiwatt, etc.

I really want the newer Pod XT 3 Live because it allows 2 different, independent signal paths. That is the key to a big tone live.

colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by sticky on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:09 pm

HI all

i havent been around this site for a while as ive started school again study Sleep No and havent had the chance.
ive just bought a peavey valveking head which i use with one of the two cabs my dad bought a while ago and doesnt use, the cabs have three: 100 watt, 16ohm 'fane' speakers wired in parallel wich to those of you who want to know adds up to 300 watts and 5.3 ohms. the peavey has great sounds going through the clean or lead channels and it is very loud, hehe

bye for now,

mark

Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://uk.youtube.com/user/marksticky1

Back to top Go down

Post by hummel on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 am

Hi,

At home and small gigs I use an old&small SWR workingman combo (1x12 - 100watt), sounds great but needs some compression through an EBS multicomp.

Gigs are through a 500 watt Yamaha BBT500T head (similiar to an Ashdown Superfly, but way more versatile) and 2 Ashdown mini cab's 1x15" en 4x8". It's very portable and loud enough.

hummel
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:32 pm

hummel wrote:At home and small gigs I use an old & small SWR workingman combo

...I used one of these for a while and loved it to bits - volume was not a problem for even the biggest gigs as I just used the line out into the board! I didn't have any compression problems though? Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:34 pm

sticky wrote:i havent been around this site for a while as ive started school again

... yes, yes!! Thank you for reminding us all in here that we're all old fogies! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

whut aimps you beez usinin?

Post by caucajun on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:17 pm

cool! a wrinkle in my response. i just found a seymour duncan convertable 100.....in de pwan shop.....dey let me "in th' back ruum"............has a couple of minor issues....but, i got it fo' $200......reasonable score, i reckon..... Twisted Evil

boo-yah-cah-shah! cheers

caucajun

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 pm

I just got myself about the sweetest amp deal I can imagine. And it came from the guy who sold me my first Westone! The family is staying together! It's a big Hartke setup, a 350 watt Hartke 3500 amplifier hooked to a big 300 watt Hartke MX series 115 cabinet (15" bass driver, 4" attack driver). He also threw in his old distortion pedal, a Russian Big Muff Pi. Only $200! With the amplifier set at ONE I have things vibrating all around me. I am very pleased, to say the least. Very Happy

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyperion on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:11 am

Hyperion
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Krysbass on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:45 am

Although I've only ever owned 4 basses since I started playing in 1982 (2 Westones, a Stagg fretless and my first bass, a pretend, nondescript sort of thing with a plywood body), I'm on my 6th and 7th amps, searching for "that sound" to bring out the best in my Thunder III bass.

I think I might just have found it now: My main rig is an Ashdown Superfly 500 (500 watt compact digital head) hooked up to two Yamaha 2x10" cabs. The Ashdown head is much-maligned in the bass-playing fraternity, but I've owned mine for about 10 months and think it's brilliant. The Yamaha cabs are well made and nice and portable too.

My practice amp is a Behringer BX108 "Thunderbird" - really inexpensive but with a sound and build quality that puts much more exotic, big name practice amps to shame.

Krysbass
Registered Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverfox on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 am

POD2 with floorboard combined with a Peavey Bandit 112 for me. Set up with the POD as pre-amp and the Peavey just delivering the power. More than enough power for my domestic playing! I enjoy the flexibility of the POD for different tones but I often seem to drift towards the 'Small Tweed' and 'Tweed Blues' models so I guess if I was forced to buy another amp I would be looking at the fender options!

David

Silverfox
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top