Spectrum GT Bass pickup problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spectrum GT Bass pickup problems

Post by badger on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Warrn wrote:switching it down is almost like hitting a mute button; I can still hear it but the volume just disappears. Also, the little metal dots on the pickups (my vocabulary is failing me) seem to be a little bit pitted and slightly green; they also aren't all at even levels. Some are sunken in, some are sticking out, some are even with the plastic. Is that normal?

No, it's not normal, although the pole pieces are moveable they aren't meant to be adjustable on those pickups, and should all be level with the top of the pickup housing. It is possible to push them back in to place, or to take the case off and push them further out if you need to. If that doesn't cure the weak sound, you may have a dead coil on one pickup. Put the selector switch in the middle position (Both pickups on) , connect it to an amp and tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver - if tapping the pole pieces on one side of the pickup doesn't give a thump through the amp then that coil is faulty and you'll need to either replace the pickup or get it rewound

badger
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Actually, I believe that the pickup select switch is faulty in the same fashion as the phase reverse pot, just not as severe. It works about 95% of the time in the center position (I can wiggle it a bit to fix it if it doesn't), 70-80% of the time when switched up, and somewhere below 30% of the time when switched down. So I don't think the problem is a dead pickup, though I suppose I should check. Maybe the contacts are dirty? As for the poles, what kind of procedure would I need to follow to remove the pickups, push the poles out into position, and then set the pickups back? I don't want to take them apart without knowing what I'm doing.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Warrn wrote:Actually, I believe that the pickup select switch is faulty in the same fashion as the phase reverse pot, just not as severe. It works about 95% of the time in the center position (I can wiggle it a bit to fix it if it doesn't), 70-80% of the time when switched up, and somewhere below 30% of the time when switched down. So I don't think the problem is a dead pickup, though I suppose I should check. Maybe the contacts are dirty? As for the poles, what kind of procedure would I need to follow to remove the pickups, push the poles out into position, and then set the pickups back? I don't want to take them apart without knowing what I'm doing.

Hi Warrn!

Great bargain you got there, my friend Very Happy . With a little bit of work, you'll have a pretty versatile instrument too.

Before replacing the pickup selector switch, you could try squirting some switch cleaner into it (if you happen to have any?) - that usually does the trick Wink .

As for the pole-pieces, they shouldn't be green or unevenly staggered Neutral . Have a look at the pics below (of my beloved '86 Spectrum GT) and you'll see how they should look. Your best bet for correcting these (IMHO) is to either get a wooden pencil and use the blunt end to gently push the metal pole-pieces from either above or below, to get them to the right depth/height, or use a block of wood and try and move then all at once. They should sit flush with the plastic cover.

In actual fact, it's easy to damage some types of pickup by pushing these metal rods up and down Sad , as it can cause the copper winding to be broken or "shorted out", but if someones already knocked them out of place, I don't think that you'll have anything to lose by straightening them out again.

Also, if it helps you, here's a shot of the wiring ...

If anything on your bass looks different to this, it could explain why things aren't working the way that they should.

I've found that both pickups on my bass have similar output (when correctly height adjusted) and that the basic tone is very "bassy". For what I, personally, wanted this bass for, I have to admit that there isn't enough "bite" or treble available from it to get the aggresiveness that I had hoped for Neutral . Even with brand new Rotosound Swingbass (s/s) strings on and the treble all the way up, it still sounds a touch more "muffled" than a typical, single coil pickup bass (Fender P, for instance silent ). Still, for the kind of fat, thundering bass that most people will expect, this bass can certainly deliver cyclops !

Hope you get yours working to your satisfaction, Warrn. Post some more pics if you get the chance, won't you Wink ?

Old Gregg

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-04-19

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/littlesiteofcalm

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 pm

My main issue with pulling it apart to fix it is that I've never done anything like that before and don't want to mess anything up. I have no experience working with electronics like this. The majority of the poles in the pickups are sunken in, so obviously I need to pull them out and take them apart, I'm just nervous to. And where would I get switch cleaner? I wasn't planning on replacing the pickup switch or the push/pull, as a little bit of messing with them usually gets them to work right. I can get as many pictures as you care to see, if you want to ask for anything specific.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top