ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Post by Barry on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:50 pm

Iceman wrote:...But since I got fortunate in picking up those Skylarks I apparently no longer need a Thunder, at least according to some.
swine Steve
I'm pretty sure the real story is that everybody likes theirs so much that they just do not get let go of very often...
True dat. I didn't think I'd love mine as much as I do when I bought it, but it is one outstandingly good guitar! It's a heavy bugger but a real work horse that never fails to amaze and surprise me:

I just wish my playing could do it justice, (especially these days). Neutral

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6017
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Garsh that is easy on the eyes!! What a Face

Nice patch of luck you strolled into with that one Barry... what with the upper body laminate so closely matching the adjoining one.

Do let me know if ever you tire of it. Wink

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 pm

I have to say I do love my thunder 1-T, even the apple red is starting to win me over, I had it up for sale recently but just could not let it go so soon, decided to sell one of my favourite synths instead.....damn those bills!
I didnt think I would ever love a guitar as much as the one I learned to play on 20 odd years ago....the times they are a changin!

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:27 am

Iceman, you're right about the availability in the uk. Used to work in my old mans music shop when i was a youngster back in the 80's. The thunder 1A was the staple diet of the beginner who could spend a little more than for a basic strat copy. Must have sold dozens of them. Believe it or not, i only even picked up a guitar in anger myself about 3 years ago - suppose it was a bit like working in a sweet shop, you just get sick of the sight of sweets, but 20 odd years later, i picked up my first westie last year (posted on here at the time). There are many examples of varying quality on uk ebay (must be 4 or 5 up for sale right now). Typically the price for a good example is about the same as they cost new in the uk in the 80's.

Given the number on offer, you should surely be able to find one willing to ship

PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 am

I agree that more Westies show up in the U.K.

As for my little part of the world, they are quite scarce and I have tried buying every single one I saw... Rolling Eyes Wich were not many... Crying or Very sad

PDS what were the asking price when you worked in your fathers store...just curious....

Frenchy

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Frenchy - Quebec? Lovely part of the world, visited many years ago.

From memory the basic oak finish was around the 150 mark with a coloured finish coming in about 20 extra. No idea what happened to excahnge rates in the intervening 30 years so it might be making invalid comparisons now to then, but i paid 150 last year for a white T1A in very good condition. the oak finish comes up much more regularly with average ones going for just under 100 and good ones up to and around 150. We did have one in the last year that went for much more - but that was in mint condition in it's original cardboard box. Obviously bought and never played, a real gem.

The westone info site does have some scanned in price lists but remember the music industry has always been a little flexible in it's pricing - very few will have paid full recommended retail unless they bought from the mail order catalogues these were also available through

PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info... The sug retail price was never a good indication in my area.... Stores here have to add duty plus shipping to the resale value so prices are all over the map.... I do remember seing a Super Headless bass back in 1985 wich was a trade in in a big store located in Montreal... I had no idea what it was back then but the $1299.99 price tag was a complete turn off for a used-trade in bass... I did fancy the look....

Never would have guessed it would become my main bass 20 years later.... Life is funny.... rabbit

Frenchy

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:31 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top