What do you guys think of this?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you guys think of this?

Post by hobster on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 pm

As you might know, i am a big fan of Hondo ii Professional series made at the Tokai factory. I've brought them up a few times around here, i have a couple and love them. All i want now is one of the Fender Lead copies. Anyway, i stumbled across this neck thru which is a real beauty and reminds me of my Memphis ghost. Gorgeous wood grains on the back. I'm pretty sure its Korean, but hey thats o.k. It always amuses me how so many people advertise Hondos as Japanese even though most are plywood crap and probably 95% are Korean made. The guys asking too much but i dig this guitar! Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-HONDO-II-Neck-Thru-Electric-Guitar-Case-/360386354842?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2065891166057905768

hobster

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Post by Iceman on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah he certainly is asking lots more than I would pay. Lots more.

Seems to be honest about condition at least... even mentions the "non-original" case has a broken latch.

We all do have weaknesses for certain things though I suppose. I say go for it if it trips your trigger that much.

$50.00 to ship? Getting a little on the side there too, huh. He strikes me as being only about the $$. Good luck talking him into the vicinity of reasonable -ness.

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Actually Ice i'm not real interested in buying it, i was just curious as to what you all think of the quality of this here axe. You can find the Professional series for cheap if you look hard enough (although this is not one). I've never seen a neck thru Hondo. She looks pretty well made, dont ya think?
By the way, here is a link to one of my Hondo ii Pros just for kicks.

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6589

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Wow, that is a gorgeous guitar. And although the price is high for a Hondo, compare it to any similar guitar on the market today, eh? Smile

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:08 pm

That is a nice guitar. I had a Hondo professional which was Matsumoku as it had original MMK 45's. I sold it and now have two set neck Hondo Les Pauls. One I think is Korean and one Japanese. They are both extremely heavy, solid wood (not ply) and very well put together.

Both of my Les Paul's have Dimarzios and Grovers.

Not all Hondos are tat and I am with you Hobster, they did sell some nice instruments.

Hoax

hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 pm

hoax wrote:
That is a nice guitar. I had a Hondo professional which was Matsumoku as it had original MMK 45's. I sold it and now have two set neck Hondo Les Pauls. One I think is Korean and one Japanese. They are both extremely heavy, solid wood (not ply) and very well put together.

Both of my Les Paul's have Dimarzios and Grovers.

Not all Hondos are tat and I am with you Hobster, they did sell some nice instruments.

Hoax

Nice to see another hondo fan hoax. Very Happy Yeah, they did make some at Matsumoku as well, although they seem harder to find. If Uncle Matt made them they can't be too bad,right? cheers

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Cool guitar! Me likee, but I'm a sucker for those double wing styled axes. The body wood might be ash...

anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:08 am

I have another one coming next week. It is a Hondo professional double cut with set neck, ash body and I believe MMK 45's. Needs a little tidy up,but I will fully assess it when it arrives.
Hoax

hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 am

Hondo did make some fine guitars and some crap as well.
Here's my two Japan made one's. dimarzio pups, grover machine heads.

Some of their pups, like on the H 76 Strat. model sound great. the ones with the metal back plate.

Do like that one on ebay, bit pricey though.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 am

Hey Damian

Love the "Fatboy" or should I say heavy boned adolescent!!. That is a really unusual colour. I used to have a blonde one. I take it that this is a recent score for you? Tell us the story.

Graham

hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 pm

hoax wrote:
I have another one coming next week. It is a Hondo professional double cut with set neck, ash body and I believe MMK 45's. Needs a little tidy up,but I will fully assess it when it arrives.
Hoax

You should post some pics when it arrives, i'd love to check it out!
Great guitars Westbone, they seem to be in excellent shape. I like the 937 alot, i've heard nothing but good things about them. Very Happy

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 pm

You see a lot of Hondo's cheap on Ebay, I've always stayed away because I didn't know much about them. Might be nice to get a cheap Hondo LP and mod it for some fun. Something I wouldn't usually do as I'm a purist, but these do seem a dime a dozen!

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Great idea Chad, just remember most are plywood crap. I actually just won a beater Hondo ii Pro last night for less than $60, it should be a fun project! Very Happy To my knowledge, the Professional series was made at Tokai, Matsumoku and other Japanese factories. The 935 series is also Japanese made and great quality, and i've been told the Fame series is pretty good also. The majority of the ones advertised as Japanese made are actually Korean, i think people just assume or feel its better marketing. There are some great deals on great guitars if you know what to look for.

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 pm

So the Professional series is the one to look for, eh? Good to know, thanks! I'd like to have an LP style singlecut, don't have one yet. But I want one that I won't feel bad about customizing. You know what I mean!

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 pm

One for you hobster, don't know where this guy gets the shipping quotes from, all over the place. Think he makes them up. Way over the top for shipping to the UK, otherwise I would have been a tad interested.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDO-II-PRO-GUITAR-JAPAN-LEAD-2-H1010-TOKIA-NR-/220838633992?pt=Guitar&hash=item336b022208

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Yep thats the one. I'll get my hands on one of those Lead 2 copies one day! A sunburst one i was watching on ebay went for $210 with shipping but it was a bit beat up and unoriginal so i'll be patient and things should work out. Very Happy
Dig the $234 shipping cost by the way. Shocked

Edit: O.K, just found the same one on USA ebay w/$25 shipping. If i can convince the wife i might go for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDO-II-PRO-GUITAR-JAPAN-LEAD-2-H1010-TOKIA-NR-/220838633992?pt=Guitar&hash=item336b022208

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Hobster,

I've actually got one of these Hondo H1052B Lead II copies and I'm in the process of rebuilding it.

I found mine in a local market for 45 but it was in bad shape. All the hardware had rusted, the pickup leads snapped off at the coils and the neck needed replacing because the truss rod locked solid. I'm not sure I can still call it a Hondo, the only original parts left are the body, the pots, and one of the switches!

I hope to get it finished soon but are some pics of it at the moment.

The body is made from 10 planks of wood and faced front and back with two ply veneer. This guitar was originally black but the veneer is probably used to improve the look of the sunburst finish.

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Pretty cool Dan, thanks for the shot of the wood. Thats interesting, i didn't know they had a veneer, it was probably standard but mostly for the burst like you said. I know pressing planks together was pretty popular, my Concord SX has quite a few layers. Sounds like that guitar had a rough ride, glad she is being brought back to life. Enjoy the project! Very Happy

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:51 am

The more I look at Hondo Lead II models, the more they look like Mats made guitars.
Like the truss rod adjustment, similar to the early Concords, necks with glued on fingerboards, no skunk stripe.
Mats did make a few for Hondo around that time in the Professional range.
The method of gluing multi pieces of timber and facing with a veneer/ply was a method of using up the offcuts. Hence Hondos were on the cheaper end.
Just a thought.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 am

Duo Fuzz,
Do you still have the original Hondo pups, could you post a piccy of the bottom of them. Cheers.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Westbone wrote:The more I look at Hondo Lead II models, the more they look like Mats made guitars.
Like the truss rod adjustment, similar to the early Concords, necks with glued on fingerboards, no skunk stripe.
Mats did make a few for Hondo around that time in the Professional range.
The method of gluing multi pieces of timber and facing with a veneer/ply was a method of using up the offcuts. Hence Hondos were on the cheaper end.
Just a thought.

Hey Westbone,
I'm pretty sure all of the lead II models are Tokai made. I know Hondo ii Pro models were made at different factories in Japan and they contained DiMarzios, Gotos (early Gotohs) and good ol MMks. All of the p-bass and Lead II copies i've seen have the Tokai routing and stamps. Tokai guitars have a unique stamp at the butt of the neck and a matching number in the neck pocket. Hey D fuzz i know your neck is gone but i'll bet there is a stamp in the neck pocket (unless its been stripped). Tokai guitars also have had the same router forever so the routing is also unique and pretty darn smooth also. Check it out:

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:02 pm

I got some pics of the old pickups that came with the Hondo, I guess they are the original one's?

The leads on these things aren't very well thought out and way to fragile. They pass straight through the base plate and are directly soldered onto the hair thin coil wire, no eyelets, not even a knot in the leads to act as a strain relief! The neck pickup leads have fell off so no meter reading for that one but the bridge has an output of 9.23k, hot for a single coil!

I also checked the old neck for any markings but found nothing, same with the body. I've since added 3mm of veneer to the neck pocket to bring the height of the neck up, same measurements as a normal Fender bolt neck set up. As it was, the fretboard was barely above the surface of the scratchplate, making the bridge saddles bottom out.

DAN.

(P.S. I think I might post my own thread for this soon. I wasn't going to bother due to the fact it's essentially a new build, but I have been taking a few snaps along the way. So instead of filling up someone else's thread with it I'll start my own.)

DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Here's the one's that came out of a 12 string Hondo.
Reading 9.7...9.3...9.0
Have no idea what they are but they're bloody hot.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm

They seem like the real deal, slug magnets, fibre top and bottom plates, and proper terminals for the lead to coil hook ups. Not the steel slug and bar magnet construction on mine!

Believe it or not I've got some even hotter pickups lined up for the Hondo. A few years back when I got my Thunder 1-A, it came with single coils screwed to the original pickup rings! (Photo's HERE)

At the time, they were banished to the spares box, but when I started on the Hondo I knew I'd need something to replace the damaged pickups it had. Closer inspection on these spare pickups has revealed DiMarzio covers but nothing on the coils themselves. A recent post on this forum (HERE) and some googling the 'net leads me to think I might have a pair of HS-1 (DP 115) double coil hum-cancelling pickups. Whatever they are they have an output of 13.9k for the neck, and 14.4k on the bridge!!! Should be interesting.......

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:41 pm

That is kinda strange D Fuzz, i thought for sure you'd have a stamp in there. Shocked I was wrong about the neck pocket, i guess they stamped the pickup cavity instead. Maybe they made them somewhere else also. My P bass copy has the same headstock as the Lead II copies and i LOVE the neck on it! Rockin, here are a few pics:

I'll post some pictures on the project i'm getting soon, see where that sucker is made. By the way, the neck thru i started this thread with is no longer BIN and being bidded on,lets see where she ends up.

hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top