so if you could absolutely nail down one player's technique/tone...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The French Connection

Post by Micro on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 am

Hi Fells
Why not check out the French offering of Ritary Gaguenetti. He has some style. Fantastic speed & dexterity. Very similar sound to George Benson. Now there's another one for you to consider!!! cyclops

Micro
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Re: so if you could absolutely nail down one player's technique/tone...

Post by colt933 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 am

Warrn wrote:That's weird, all my basses sound noticeably different (except for the Rails). Laughing

Sure, but they all sound like you playing them, right?

colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Micro wrote:Ritary Gaguenetti

Yeah, like this, has an unusual style with his little finger, buries it in his hand then comes down from height onto the frets. Works for him, a poor technique on my part and a struggle to overcome for me, seeing this perhaps will just forget the technique advice and get on with it.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:45 pm

My sound, no joke, the cat leaves the room after about 5 mins. :cat:

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Ritary on Sunday

Post by Micro on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Saw this guy in London on Sunday evening at a very intimate jazz club called Le QuecumBar - Just a stunning show. He was playing with a top gypsy jazz Brit called Gary Potter - no relation to Harry. Also another French gypsy called Aurelien Bouly. Minding blowing stuff. They played from 8.30 until 12 midnight.
They finished off with my request for 'Minor Swing' - Perfect end to a perfect evening.

Micro
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Nice one Micro, must keep my eyes open for these guys.

Westbone wrote:My sound, no joke, the cat leaves the room after about 5 mins. :cat:

When I used to play violin my cat would shout at me then if I didnt stop climb up me, stand on the violin and gently bite my nose. When that didnt work she would go out the room and shout some more.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Cats are intuitive and funny lil' critters.
Over the years while with guitar, I've had them sit in the open case, bite the strings while changing, sit on the guitar, sit on me, bite me, curl up on my feet, meow, howl, and when plugged in, give a dirty look over a shoulder then leave the room. Neutral

These days they just laugh at my flopping fingers and shake their furry lil' heads. Evil or Very Mad

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6021
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Our cat "left the building" last fall after 22 years of shenanigans. Really I am a dog person but for Patch I made one big exception.

When my wife plays our pups usually lay down and are asleep in 10 minutes. Less than 5 if she is fingerpicking. It is extremely relaxing listening to her acoustic. Sleep

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:31 pm

many years ago i had an irish setter/malamute doggie.
while my playing is not anywhere as good as these guys, my dog reacted in much the same way.... No No No

http://youtu.be/BdFOgLyk6Qs

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:many years ago i had an irish setter/malamute doggie.
while my playing is not anywhere as good as these guys, my dog reacted in much the same way.... No No No

http://youtu.be/BdFOgLyk6Qs

Awesome, my dog loves when my daughter plays the harmonica and howls just the same. At least i think he loves it, its funny as hell and i can't tell if he is enjoying it or in pain. Razz Great video by the way, thats one of my favorite movies of all time.

hobster

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:03 am

colt933 wrote:
Warrn wrote:That's weird, all my basses sound noticeably different (except for the Rails). Laughing

Sure, but they all sound like you playing them, right?
Of course they all sound like me playing them! Laughing I'm fairly decent with them and can tell their tones apart though.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 am

I can tell a big difference in tone between my guitars, unless we mean "tone" by differing definitions. I refer to it as the pure sound quality it possesses, as opposed to any stylistic properties (vibe) that I or someone else may impose. So in one case it's true, tone is in the fingers, yet in the other case it's not so much, in that each guitar will have a different voice due to the make up of it's components. I can't make my SG sound like my Vandenberg, it just isn't there, and I doubt that anyone else can make them sound the same either, right?

Back to the pet topic, my Maine Coon kitty Sir Lancelot hates it when I sing. REALLY hates it. He finds me wherever I am, jumps up as close to my face as possible, arches his eyes in an evil fashion and screams in my face till I stop. Then he walks away slowly still murmering. Little jerk. Laughing

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Barry wrote:Cats are intuitive and funny lil' critters.
Over the years while with guitar, I've had them sit in the open case, bite the strings while changing, sit on the guitar, sit on me, bite me, curl up on my feet, meow, howl, and when plugged in, give a dirty look over a shoulder then leave the room. Neutral

These days they just laugh at my flopping fingers and shake their furry lil' heads. Evil or Very Mad
my cat liked playing with the strings.. she plucked them....never ran away from me while jamming would sit and watch.

nasticanasta

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm

back to the topic....if you nailed someone's technique and style it would just make you a copy cat... that's it. Take for instance Allan Holdsworth...apparently he hates the fact that others try to imitate him. speaking with him many times he has said trying to imitate him just makes posers out of themselves.. they aren't testing new waters so to say, "what is to be achieved by sounding just like him, there already is one of him" many companies have produced items like Digitechs 2101 processor, which has the "Holdsworthian" setting...Allan thinks it's ridiculous. He abhors them.
I have had my "sound" for a long time... I can usually get it from most any amp with some knob turning...find your own sound.. stop posing..unless of course you are in a cover band..then I suppose imitate away! I do alot of Robin Trower so I do go for his sound when doing those...right now I am in a Detroit/Garage style band.. MC5, Wayne Kramer, Alice Cooper, old KISS, with some Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy thrown in for good measure.. and for that I have my own sound.. nice raw Marshall Plexi tone. I use different guitars for what they do...I mainly use hardtails like my 94 SG or my 11 ESP EC1000.. but when I am playing thin Lizzy or Priest.. I use my trem guitars like my ESP MH-250 or my Westone Trevor Rabin SS III.. or the USA made B.C. Rich Stealth or Ironbird.. there's so little difference in tones though.. since it's a raunchy distorted sound.

nasticanasta

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top