Educate me on the common missing Stringlock assembly...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Educate me on the common missing Stringlock assembly...

Post by drsyn67 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:36 pm

So I keep finding Westones online that are missing the stringlock assembly above the nut on each guitar. I've never had a guitar with this setup, so I would like to know whey the hell these screws and parts are so often missing? Is it because users take them off since it makes more of an effort to restring the guitar? I'm educated enough (thanks to you guys on the forum) to know that these missing parts are practically impossible to find.

I recently found the a gorgeous cherry sunburst Pantera X275 for $300 (plus shipping) but it is missing the stringlocks, and that scares my money back into the wallet. I know the Panteras have a good following here on the forum, and I've searched them and seen they have sold for $275 or so in the past, so I'm guessing that's fairly standard price. Anyone wanna chime in with thoughts on price and the difficulty or reason these parts go missing so commonly? Thanks!

drsyn67

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2012-02-08

http://www.markcountscreative.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Educate me on the common missing Stringlock assembly...

Post by corsair on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Really, it's probably a combination of things; the E/A bolt if used harshly will strip out the alloy base in a heartbeat, and the little shims, washers and bolts are really easy to lose, particularly on a darkened stage on the fly!!

now, while you won't get replacements easily, don't let the lack of the stringlock put you off buying a guitar so equipped, but missing the assembly; there are other (behind the Nut) stringlock assemblies which can be used in extremis....

Spares made some bases a couple of years back from resin with a steel insert and they worked really well; I bought a couple, so the field is wide open for someone to have a crack at making some, eh!!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5248
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Here's a decent replacement Kahler style for Pantera's.
Might have to fiddle with the trus rod cover a little.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4858
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm

http://www.kahlerusa.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=39

colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top