My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by The Chad on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 am

Got it two days ago. I'm in love.

Needed a single coil guitfiddle, found this at my local Guitar Center. Went right away to see it and WOW, this thing is a lot nicer than expected.

1997 Vantage VT 430. This thing is in NEW condition, never been played. Still has the plastic coverering the electronics cavity.















It's a made in Korea Vantage, but this thing is quality. Sounds beautiful and looks just as good. My Wife commented that it sounds "so warm and clear, much better than your other guitars" Laughing My guitarist in my blues/rock/worship band loves it too, and he knows his single coiled guitars.

This thing is gorgeous. Real Flamed Maple cap (which is quite deep and "moving"), solid body (not plywood or pieces), contoured heel, Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and 3 steel covered single coils. I tell ya, the feel and sound of this guitar is outstanding. Just melts into my hands. Surprising, actually. Has an fantastic snarl when distorted and sweet chimeys on clean. Cool

And did I mention it's in new condition?! From 1997, and unplayed till I came along? Cool. Cool

I highly recommend these. If you can find them.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Location : Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Barry on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:55 am

Looks very appealing Chad, like a Tele had a mad affair with a Dano U3 or sumthin'. Twisted Evil

Ya know...I'm seeing a lot of extremely good post-Mats MIK instruments popping up under the Vantage and APII labels in particular, and they seem to have been produced from late 80's to mid-late 90's. I guess you can include a few SLM Westones and other assorted Westone revival attempts in that production window too. From my own experience, my MIK 1996 Aria Pro II TA60 is certainly very well crafted and a good player.

To be clear, they ain't no Mats. But most are better than average. Perhaps we can consider this a post-Mats "halo" effect and be on the look out for gems like this. Not exactly Mats part deux, but infinitely better than most of the rubbish from China and elsewhere these days.

_________________
"A little song. A little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." -Chuckles the Clown


GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6027
Age : 71
Location : Port Weller, St. Catharines, Canada
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Iceman on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Love it!!! Sparkle guard and thin tube covers... OOH-LA-LA. Very Dano-looking. Nice stripey grain too!

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Age : 53
Location : Up North
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

wow, a very very sexy guitar there, helluva score!

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Age : 45
Location : tyneside
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

had a bit of a haggle with the seller of this korean vantage tonight, http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vantage-6-string-electric-guitar/101006030

not a bad guitar, but not a "good" one, his asking price of 50 seems good, I offered less, considerably less...but my heart wasnt in it.

I think its a sammick built V113-t, it was the "t" that put me off in the end.

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Age : 45
Location : tyneside
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by The Chad on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 am

Sgt. Vimes wrote:had a bit of a haggle with the seller of this korean vantage tonight, http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vantage-6-string-electric-guitar/101006030

not a bad guitar, but not a "good" one, his asking price of 50 seems good, I offered less, considerably less...but my heart wasnt in it.

I think its a sammick built V113-t, it was the "t" that put me off in the end.

If it's an arch top, that guitar could be the 213-T. The 213-t has an arch top and alder body. I subscribed for a month to Vint axe and I just looked at the 1995 Vantage catalog, that's where you can check it out.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Location : Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

The Chad wrote:If it's an arch top, that guitar could be the 213-T. The 213-t has an arch top and alder body. I subscribed for a month to Vint axe and I just looked at the 1995 Vantage catalog, that's where you can check it out.

Im not subscribed, but a quick google image search shows the 113-t is 3 single coils whereas the 213-t is HSS.......Looks like a nice tidy guitar...but Im still in 2 minds about it

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Age : 45
Location : tyneside
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by G.A.S. man on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi everyone.. I have a one but with the Wilkinson trem on...
Picked it up the end of last year for 70:00 in Mckays in Newcastle after it had been there about 7 months for 130:00 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Really nice feeling guitar but not as clean as yours Chad.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Well done an a great deal ou got mate.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil









Mines had a harder life an a few knocks but it still feels great though the pick ups aren't the best I think..
Might change them out for some different lipsticks as there not as nice as my Danelectro reissue u2...
But bar that it's a solid guitar...

G.A.S. man
Senior Member

Number of posts : 167
Age : 44
Location : Dudley.. Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by The Chad on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Shocked Another one! Thanks for sharing that, these are rare birds and great to see yours. That Wilkinson is cool, wish mine had a trem. I like my pickups, but I'll need to hear a Dano U2 to compare. I'd thought of putting some vintage strat pups in there, but that's if I find some and want to afford them. So far I'm happy as a clam and am loving the single coil thing! Such a different sound. Haven't touched my other guitars since. Laughing

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Location : Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by G.A.S. man on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

The Dano's a great guitar which is to addictive cheers cheers
When stripped down the vantage had DLX in the neck pocket which me an Duofuzz think is the model (vt 430 dlx)..
The pick ups through the jack read 4.52, 4.40 an 4.36 bridge to neck...
Sounded not bad overdriven but clean the were lacking a bit of sparkle for me...
Found these thought in the uk at Axesrus.com

Axesrus "Blues Tubes" Single Coil Pickups
Great Pickups for getting something differant from your Strat, offers a good bluesy sound when kept nice and clean, or crank the reverb and get those perfect surf tones for rockabilly.
Supplied with Springs, Screws and Covers of your choice.
Sound Clip
Click to see Technical Spec

Specification Diagram
String Spacing = N/A
Resistance = Bridge - 8K, Middle - 7.25K (reverse wound), Neck - 7.25K
Wiring = Red - Live, White & Silver - Ground
Magnets = Alnico V
Pole Style = Enclosed
Wire = .42 Gauge Formvar
Covers = Non-Removable Chrome Cover
Hookup Wire - Highly Insulated

Only 42:00 a set so might give them a whirl an let you know how it goes Chad...

The Wilkie trem is a great trem which I love a lot...
Bought a Cort G252 for spares really at cash converter with one but no arm an push pull pot broken..
Tried it an let Duofuzz tweak it a bit plus put a Jeff Beck Duncan pick up in which was lying around an was shocked at the results..
Really stable an solid little rock guitar.. The other marmite single coils need changing but that will happen another time..
Ment mighty mite not marmite...
the trem on that is fantastic an with 4 springs in returns to pitch under heavy abuse an slight wobbles....
really good trem ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


G.A.S. man
Senior Member

Number of posts : 167
Age : 44
Location : Dudley.. Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by The Chad on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm

G.A.S. man wrote:The Dano's a great guitar which is to addictive cheers cheers
When stripped down the vantage had DLX in the neck pocket which me an Duofuzz think is the model (vt 430 dlx)..
The pick ups through the jack read 4.52, 4.40 an 4.36 bridge to neck...
Sounded not bad overdriven but clean the were lacking a bit of sparkle for me...
Found these thought in the uk at Axesrus.com

Axesrus "Blues Tubes" Single Coil Pickups
Great Pickups for getting something differant from your Strat, offers a good bluesy sound when kept nice and clean, or crank the reverb and get those perfect surf tones for rockabilly.
Supplied with Springs, Screws and Covers of your choice.
Sound Clip
Click to see Technical Spec

Specification Diagram
String Spacing = N/A
Resistance = Bridge - 8K, Middle - 7.25K (reverse wound), Neck - 7.25K
Wiring = Red - Live, White & Silver - Ground
Magnets = Alnico V
Pole Style = Enclosed
Wire = .42 Gauge Formvar
Covers = Non-Removable Chrome Cover
Hookup Wire - Highly Insulated

Only 42:00 a set so might give them a whirl an let you know how it goes Chad...

The Wilkie trem is a great trem which I love a lot...
Bought a Cort G252 for spares really at cash converter with one but no arm an push pull pot broken..
Tried it an let Duofuzz tweak it a bit plus put a Jeff Beck Duncan pick up in which was lying around an was shocked at the results..
Really stable an solid little rock guitar.. The other marmite single coils need changing but that will happen another time..
Ment mighty mite not marmite...
the trem on that is fantastic an with 4 springs in returns to pitch under heavy abuse an slight wobbles....
really good trem ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


Marmite?! YUCK! Laughing

Thanks for the great info! And yep, your's is the DLX which had a Tigertail top instead of flame maple and a Wilkinson VS100 trem, other than that it's the same as mine. It was $40 more back in '97. Pretty cool. I want to hear those new pups!!!

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Location : Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Barry on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 pm

G.A.S. man wrote:The Dano's a great guitar which is to addictive cheers cheers
Love my U2!
The pick ups through the jack read 4.52, 4.40 an 4.36 bridge to neck...Sounded not bad overdriven but clean the were lacking a bit of sparkle for me...
Really. That sounds about bang on for vintage Dano output and I would expect that typical chimey sound. GFS has some at about double that output if you're looking for more umph!

_________________
"A little song. A little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." -Chuckles the Clown


GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6027
Age : 71
Location : Port Weller, St. Catharines, Canada
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by G.A.S. man on Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Sorry to take so long to reply Barry, 5 days at work an not enough time off..
Me an duofuzz both thought the same but in reality they sound very weak..
Looking at the pickups they seem more like a strat single coil with metal cover.
Even have strat base plate with ceramic magnet under slug..
Will take pics to show soon ...

G.A.S. man
Senior Member

Number of posts : 167
Age : 44
Location : Dudley.. Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: My "new" 1997 VANTAGE VT 430

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:01 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum