MIK vs MIJ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MIK vs MIJ

Post by beavis on Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 am

Have spotted two Westones near me, which is quite incredible since they are sort of rare around here.

The first is a MIK spectrum II SP6112 in black with the white stripe around the body. It's in great nick, hardly any marks, frets are good except for the first 2-3 which are lightly worn. I got to play it a bit and it sounded very nice on a 10watt crate practise amp, which is always a good sign. Don't know much about these heatwave pickups. It comes with the case for just under 300$.

Second choice is this. Also for 300$. Comes with hard case and hasn't had much play according to the seller. Though it has had much of something else, as you can tell.

The way I see it: they are both overpriced; the Spectrum feels nice (I haven't tried the pantera); if I get the pantera I will try and paint it (but not a burst or anything fancy); I hear the pups on the x275 are sub-par. Oh, and I don't like black...

Also, I don't want anything too close to a Dim IV as I am after diversity at this point in my life :farao: .

Any suggestions? I am guessing most of you will advocate in favour of the x275, but I might be surprised.

Of course, if anybody is interested in these, I will willingly help as much as I can.

beavis

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: MIK vs MIJ

Post by Iceman on Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 am

The Spectrum I can't say much about Beavis as you just don't see that model on this side of the pond at all.

The x275 is overpriced IMHO and I am not even sure what the conversion to USD would be on it. But they are so plentiful over here it seems that I would not need to go much over $225 with an OHSC for a white one.

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Tue May 22, 2012 7:31 am

Oh, hell, Beavis.... it never rains but it pours, eh!!

Personally, I'd have that 6112 like a shot, I really would! The Pantera has been refinished, too as I'm not sure they were ever available in that finish, and there's been Panteras for Africa on the auction sites just lately, but that's the first 6112 I think I've seen... ever!!

Grab it, mate!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 am

I'd have to say this... talk them down in price! If you show up with $250 cash and they take it, that would be a much better deal. It would be worth seeing the Pantera before deciding. Unless you already have a Pantera, in that case go with the Spectrum. However the Spectrum is the more common of the two in terms of style.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

SP 6112. Bit dead sounding, especially the bridge pup, no real character.
to many fiddly switches.

Had one and sold it on, a red one and it is not a figured maple top, it's a veneer.

Both seem a little pricey.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thegig10 on Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Don't be too hard on the 6112 because it was MIK, I have 2 of them, one solid yellow with light binding and one blue flamed maple with light binding and both play well with a high quality feel. Pickups are decent although I did change the bidge pickup on the blue one. Also I'm a true believer of guitars keeping and having their original finish. Especially as far as value goes.

thegig10
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Tue May 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Laughing Laughing I've nothing against MIK, some good stuff comes out of there.

Just that the 6112's sound a bit sterile IMHO. Made well, they just skimped on the pickups and pots.

Just bought a XA 1420 TBU Corsair, could be Korean. Still awaiting it's arrival, see what it sounds like???

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I actually wasn't expecting the MIK to be favoured. I contacted the seller of the x275. It was the redburst one, he stripped it many many years ago and has left it naked and uncoated ever since. Also, he will not lower the price, which pretty much kills the deal for me (now if it still had the red burst...).

Regarding the MIK, the old project I am (forever) working on is using an sp4112 body but I intend to change the switch business so having this 6112 would be a nice alternative and I was impressed by how easily accessible the higher frets were on it.

Price-wise, this is Switzerland but it is true I would be happy to knock the price down on the spectrum. Tried to last Saturday but the sales woman said they have just received it and she won't go below 10% off, which is a good start I guess. If I find the time, I will head back there this Saturday and check it out once more. I am thinking about it quite a lot right now, I like superstrats...

Now what do you call it when you're constantly after guitars you don't need and don't even have room for or time to play????

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis on Tue May 22, 2012 5:09 pm

beavis wrote:
Now what do you call it when you're constantly after guitars you don't need and don't even have room for or time to play????

Obsession. (A minor variety of insanity?). I know the feeling, I have several Westones with the same H/S/H pickups controls and switching etc, and don't play them. Here, there are two guitars available - but - you don't actually have to buy either of them, just because they're a guitar you haven't already got that says 'Westone' on the headstock. For my money, the 6112 got a fairly bad review for overall quality -http://www.westone.info/reviews/im0989/index.html - and the X275 is the cheapest (Worst?) Pantera available, so I wouldn't buy either of them. There are much better guitars / Westones available, and they're worth waiting for.

midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm

beavis wrote:...Now what do you call it when you're constantly after guitars you don't need and don't even have room for or time to play????
Dunno for sure but I have been told it has sumthin' to do with a crazy little thing called G.A.S.
I've belched and flatulated at least 26 times, but I'm still an amateur compared to some of the poor buggers on this Forum. What a Face

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry

Number of posts : 6027
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thegig10 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 pm

beavis wrote:
Not sure what it's called but I sure know how it feels. And if you a Westoner or Matsumokur like us it makes this condition much worse because you're constantly teased with quality guitars at low prices. I hate to say it but it makes me think of women who shop all the time for things they don't need and buy them because, "it was on sale and such a good deal!" Laughing

thegig10
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 pm

beavis wrote:... Now what do you call it when you're constantly after guitars you don't need and don't even have room for or time to play????

Not sure what that is called... scratch Not anything to fret over I'm sure.

I do know however that when you are constantly searching for guitars you want to have and do have time to play them.... well, I just call him Arthur... Razz

Oh, and as far as the x275 being the cheapest (worst?) Pantera?!? ...please Rolling Eyes

Iceman

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Tue May 22, 2012 9:59 pm

I see that the 6112 didn't exactly set the world alight with its quality, did it?! And to be fair, that bridge pickup is a bit limp wristed, especially on a shredder, well, at least if it's the same as the ones on my Clippers!

Hmmmm... what do do, eh? The 275 may be the low end Pantera, but there's been precious little surface in Switzerland for a while, so Beavis... the floor is yours; whatcha gonna do?! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis on Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 am

Iceman wrote:
Oh, and as far as the x275 being the cheapest (worst?) Pantera?!? ...please Rolling Eyes

my bad, that would be the X250. Worst was probably the wrong word to use there - I just mean the low end of the range, there are others that are better and will if they come along probably make that one redundant. For instance, i have a Spectrum ST and a Spectrum FX - once I got the FX, the ST never got played again, so why look at the low end of the Panteras or any other model range? Even an X300 (Which are fairly common) is probably better than the X275 simply because it has (Often, some don't) a tone control and a coil tap switch, makes it more versatile.

midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer on Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 am

I'd say it comes down to:
Are you more of a Matsumoku fan, or more of a Westone fan?

If you are more into Matsumoku, then get the Pantera. If you are more of a Westone fan, then the SP6112 is in closer to original condition.

If you just want a guitar that is fun to play, sounds nice, etc, then choose the one that you enjoy playing more.

Or think about it this way: imagine yourself in one month after doing nothing, and both guitars are sold. Which one do you regret most not grabbing?

Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Wed May 23, 2012 9:17 am

Brainfertilizer wrote:I'd say it comes down to:
Are you more of a Matsumoku fan, or more of a Westone fan?

Do I have to answer this on a Westone forum? :alien:

Honestly, I am easy, as long as the quality is there. Also, since I already have "enough" guitars, I am generally looking for a good deal. I have more or less decided not to go after the x275, just because it's a little to pricey for something I would just end up mucking up by doing a lousy amateurish paintjob on.

Now the spectrum, I would regret it if I didn't buy it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world as it isn't super cheap and I have many other brilliant ideas of what to do with the money atm. I am after several other guitars right now (partly thanks to Corsair Cool ) so it's not making matters any easier.

TheGig10 is right though, we really are a bunch of babbling ladies Embarassed

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 am

[quote="

we really are a bunch of babbling ladies Embarassed [/quote]

You speak for yourself beavis Smile

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 am

Westbone wrote:[quote="

we really are a bunch of babbling ladies

You speak for yourself beavis Smile [/quote]

Yeah. The rest of us aren't ladies anymore, remember?! Laughing

And I second the notion of waiting for something better to roll along. Eventually they always do.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Yes beavis you can be a guitar bitch, if you like that sort of thing Twisted Evil Laughing

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 am

Westbone wrote:Yes beavis you can be a guitar bitch, if you like that sort of thing Twisted Evil Laughing

Any time you want Westbone :queen:

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Thu May 24, 2012 3:25 am

lol! Your a good sport beavis.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 am

Westbone wrote: lol! Your a good sport beavis.

I really am aren't I? rendeer

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:54 am

Just resurrecting this thread for a simple question:

What are these trs-101 trems worth? The spectrum (which is haunting me) has one. I gather it's the bendmaster FR but have had trouble finding much info on it.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am

Wow! You learn something new everyday. My AER300 has a TRS-101 trem and I always thought that stood for Trevor Rabin Signature and was exclusive to his models. That's what I get for thinking, I guess. haha

J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 pm

J.a.c.aranda87 wrote:Wow! You learn something new everyday. My AER300 has a TRS-101 trem and I always thought that stood for Trevor Rabin Signature and was exclusive to his models. That's what I get for thinking, I guess. haha

Oh.. And what's it like??? Very Happy

TRS must stand for something though. Maybe something to do with Rabin. Wouldn't be a surprise as he participated somewhat with the design of some guitars as I understand it.

Now 101, that's a little more transparent.

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:50 pm

The TRS trem is my favorite of the three types I have. (Bendmaster Deluxe, FR, and TRS) It feels the smoothest to me and it holds tune phenomenally. I love it! But, of course, I love everything about my AER300. haha

J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:28 pm

J.a.c.aranda87 wrote:The TRS trem is my favorite of the three types I have. (Bendmaster Deluxe, FR, and TRS) It feels the smoothest to me and it holds tune phenomenally. I love it! But, of course, I love everything about my AER300. haha

Mh, this sounds very good! Think I will go back and harrass the saleswoman again (for the 4th time).

beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:35 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum