Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:42 am

This is the neck after using a sanding block to take the outside edges off, and then beveled a bit. Used a sharpie to mark the top of the frets before I level them so I can see if anything is too low. It was all pretty close, but did need more work then the strat I just refretted.

Then after leveling the frets, I speant a lot of time crowning and shaping the ends. Sanding with a few grits then polished up. Looking nice and shiny. This came out much better than my strat - which was ok, but I'm getting a new bridge for the strat at which point I'll put more time into the sanding/polishing part. Gotta say the fretwork takes a lot of patience, but the more you put into it, the better the results. I'm pretty happy with it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can drill the holes for the tuner set screws, then finish sand the neck and get ready for paint!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am

I find fret work really rewarding, and you're right, it takes lots of patience!
I found using a black ink really hard to see the hair-thin crown line, I use red now and it's so much clearer on the nickel.
Also I love using the micro mesh sanding cloths, it might be a little bit OCD, but I give each fret 10 strokes back and forth right the way through the 9 grit grades for a uniform finish.

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jim on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

I can imagine Trevor Rabin having fun himself following the progress on your project. What a beautiful neck and how entertaining to watch this topic! Can we have a slideshow when it is finished?

jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Also I love using the micro mesh sanding cloths

I had some of those that I use for finishing the clear coats, so I used them as well on the frets just to get a bit more smoothness to them - works great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

jim wrote:I can imagine Trevor Rabin having fun himself following the progress on your project. What a beautiful neck and how entertaining to watch this topic! Can we have a slideshow when it is finished?
I wish Trevor would follow it, maybe he would send me his so I can do a proper replica. Not sure about a slideshow - but maybe a video of how it sounds when I'm done?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm

So I sent a message to TR on his facebook page:

"Any chance you could send me a clear picture of your Westone 12 string guitar? I'm attempting to replicate it, and can't quite find a clear picture of the headstock."

And I got a reply. Not sure if it is him or an assistant or something but got this back:

"sure, real busy right now, but i'll get to it soon."

How cool would that be?

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 am

Very Very Cool Indeed.

TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Glad you reached out to him.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 pm

during your correspondence with Trevor (or his representative), perhaps you could solicit his comments on the guitar you are emulating.

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I did reply with a thank you and sent a pic of the guitar as it is currently and maybe he'll like it enough to trade for his Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Very cool - Trevor Rabin sent these pics back to me with the caption "not the best quality"

So it may still be someone else doing this for him but cool either way, but that is definatley the current studio he has as seen in his new video.

Not the best quality as he says, but I'm not going to bug him for better pictures. Pictures were reversed as shown. I think the truss rod cover says Trevor Rabin Model. Very cool - made my day

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Fixed.

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6027
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Barry!

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Dyslexicor of the Borg uses his mighty inverto-ray, and, zooooop! Smile

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

So you think the small word on the headstock is Model?
His headstock is a bit wider towards the neck than mine - damn I feel like starting over. I did send him a pic of mine, but no comment - no news is good news?

Last edited by sarcaster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:33 pm

So looking closely, the truss rod cover mimics the shape of the headstock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Westbone wrote:No, no. What do you think it says on the original...twelve or custom ???

We know it says TR but the smaller writing on the cover.
Weird, when I upload these pics they are not as clear, but the pics I got I think I can confidentally say its Trevor Rabin Model

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 am

I want that SO badly it hurts....

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:45 am

If you need a tr cover..TR model. Give me a shout.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am

Westbone wrote:If you need a tr cover..TR model. Give me a shout.

What's your method? I was thinking of making it myself, but not sure how I want to do the text. Paint pen maybe, or maybe dremmel out the text and paint it so it is recessed a bit?

Back to top Go down

Post by jim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes, please Arthur tell us how it's done! I always assumed a sign shop could do a perfect engraved piece, they do it on nameplates all the time after all. e.g. http://www.signsationstrc.com/name-plates-header/ but I never got to checking it with them since I have no urgent need for one.

They probably wouldn't cut or saw it in the right custom shape and bevelled edge but that shouldn't be a problem for Pat to deal with I reckon. What material are they made of anyway, acrylic? Same as pickguards? (some one some two ply). Sorry to high jack this thread btw. but It intrigues me and since it's brought up...

jim

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm

There is a guy put there that can do TRC and has done several for my fellow Electra forum members. I will search the forums there and see if I can find the link.

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

TRC suitable plastic comes as a 2 layer laminate in any color combination you might imagine. Then it is only a matter of what size, shape and what you want written in it to be.

A CNC VMC or computer engraving machine can crank them out at a rate of a couple hundred an hour once the code is written.

Iceman

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Your on the right track jim.
My buddies a jeweller, he engraves them and I finish them off.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by METESKY on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Now that is nice work...

METESKY
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

So I think think I will try using the dremmel as my engraver and give it a shot. I have a few sheets of pickguard material so I have plenty of material to make mistakes on Smile

Those TRC's look very good West

Back to top Go down

Post by jim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Like tailor made! Nice work Arthur with those pics it's self explanatory.
Attention to detail and craftmenship that is of course why we are all so impressed with Matsumoku's fame. Why we love those instruments and why guys like you restore them to their original glory with perfection. When you think of it, it is in a way astonishing that a factory with so much innovative ideas and expertise which cranked out a staggering production had to go bankrupt. Which as a side note also explains why some of 'm weren't really that good after all or suffered from bad set ups. I just can't help think they could have been in the same leak as Ibanez nowadays if they had gotten the time and trust with smarter management. Never forget the ones that died too young.

btw totally off topic as well a Westone acoustic catalogue with Greco's in it for sale in Japan as of now. I never knew it had been part of it but the pics tell the story. http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k158425752 Westone did have a long building history before they entered the electric market!

Forgive me Pat it's your epic thread and I really, really liked Trevor replied. But it doesn't surprise me either because you my friend are honouring him a lot for, as an endorser it must have been his idea, the 12 string! With all the effort you put in recreating it, how nice is that?

Which reminds me of the video I saw of one of my heroes, George Benson from NAMM 2012 he endorses Ibanez and of course has all kinds of signature models. He played without a pick! Chord melody in the style of Wes Montgomery and later Johny Smith! Now the man has a very unconventional but effective picking technique on it's own. Couldn't believe what I saw and I've been to his concerts! It also showed he knows he's luckie to have this gift and lets visitors play his guitar and shows his respect. How nice and humble and human he is as a person the contrary of arrogant, and grateful for the people that make it possible by buying his music and his gear and are all involved in making love to music. It must be inspiring!

Friday evening, cheap beers and maybe getting a tad sentimental but hey, in my local pub they have no idea what I'm bragging about when I do. Gotta do it somewhere.

jim

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm

corsair wrote:I want that SO badly it hurts....
Hmmm, do we detect the return of John's muse here ? Naughty

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Ha! No, not really, Barry - just that whole Matt 12 string thing, and specifically, Spectrum, raising its head a bit!!

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 pm

corsair wrote:Ha! No, not really, Barry - just that whole Matt 12 string thing, and specifically, Spectrum, raising its head a bit!!
Should I make a 2nd one?

Back to top Go down

Post by METESKY on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 pm

This man works miracles. ;-)

http://www.reproguitarparts.com

He does truss rod covers, pickguards, cover plates. He has some stuff in stock, and also does custom orders. I think this is who mortar man was thinking of...

METESKY
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Let's make some Ebony dust!

So I watched the Youtube video by David Fletcher where he shows how to avoid seeing the ends on the frets on the side of the neck and it is a really great method.
He has some great vids on youtube.

When I installed the frets I cut the tangs about 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the ends so they would not protrude out of the side of the neck, so the top of the fret hits the edge but not the part of the fret that is inside the board. This leaves an exposed part of the fret slot that needs to be filled:

First, drop some thin super glue into the slot:

Then take some Ebony dust and cover the slot. Use a toothpick to mash it in the slot. Add a bit more dust on the top of it. Then add one more drop of glue:

Let it dry, then sand it smooth:

And the dust blends in nicely. This can be done with rosewood as well. I haven't tried it with maple yet, but I assume it would work as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Now ready for some paint eh.

First coats - just looks so weird in black after working with it all this time. Making sure not to put it too heavy around the heel as it is a close fit in the pocket right now, so very little paint will be on where the heel joins the body:

Done with the color for today. I'll wetsand tomorrow and then work on getting the headstock logo in place. Then clear coat it up. Still have some work to do on the body but I'm focused on finishing this one. I have 7 projects going on at the moment and it is not productive. Going to focus on one at a time from now on (yeah right) or at least try to.

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 pm

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Logo time!

So since Ink Jet printers are unable to print white, I had to buy decal paper that is white instead of clear, and then print the black surrounding the logo. I wet sanded real quick with 800 and 1000 grits to get it flat and applied the logo. It looks flat black at them moment from wet sanding but I'm about to put some clear coats then dry over night and do a bit more tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 pm

This project is awesome and you sir are a very talented builder. This will be one awesome 12 string when she is complete.

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 pm

mortarman120gang11c wrote:This project is awesome and you sir are a very talented builder. This will be one awesome 12 string when she is complete.

Thanks sir, I'm really trying on this one. Did some clear coats tonight, but the Florida humidity is not a friend when it comes to spraying, so not much done with the clear tonight. Going to be humid and rainy all week, so not sure if I can get all the clear down soon. we'll see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 am

So I bring the neck into the house from the garage since the humidity is killing the drying process and I see this giant fingerprint on the neck....ugh...I don't remember touching the neck at all! so some sanding is in order. Extra work for a dumb mistake. Oh well

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Tue May 21, 2013 5:44 am

Bugger!!! Mad

Still... nice jandals, mate!!

Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 am

Arrrrrrgh!! Hate that. Sorry man.

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 am

corsair wrote:Bugger!!! Mad

Still... nice jandals, mate!!

Laughing

It's florida eh! - I only wear proper shoes for weddings and funerals Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Hope to see you with the finished product at the Westone Electrafest event July 20-21 2013 in Tifton, Ga. just up the road a bit. Thanks Arthur aka mortarman120gang11c

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Tue May 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Great stuff Sarc.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm

This has become my favorite thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone!

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 25, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks all for the nice words. The lacquer I sprayed was very tough with the Fla humidity so it's been difficult to dry. But I have enough coats on there and they are dry enough to wet sand again flat. So I'll wet sand to 1000 grit tomorrow to be sure it is all flat, and then spray the final coats. In the meanwhile, here is how is stands ( shiny enough to see part of my reflection in the headstock, but not flat yet)

So tomorrow, I hope to get the remaining clear on the neck, and then perhaps start on the body. Light at the end of the tunnel eh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 am

Can't wait to put the tuners on. And ugh, I gotta make a nut for it too - never ends eh

Back to top Go down

Post by jim on Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm

The Chad wrote:This has become my favorite thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone!

I'm with you!
Sometimes wish I could be there with my nose and eyes up close.

The fingerprint got me thinking an applied decal of your fingerprint on the back of your headstock might be appropriate... In silver!

jim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 pm

I sprayed a bit more clear on the neck today, and it is drying slowly with the humidity.
So, why not work on finish sanding the body and start painting? No reason. So be it.

I have to say, I am really pleased to see that there is not the slightest hint that this body had a tremolo route or an input jack on the face of the guitar. This is just a few coats - no sanding yet - an a lot still to be done, but you would never know this guitar had the trem or that jack even with the few coats applied.
I have the bridge, but still need to get the switches/knobs and decide what PUPS to put in. Might have to get a few new knobs from Tvill as they are a great replacement.

Couldn't help myself - had to lay the neck and body down with tape and all just to get an idea of what it's gonna look like:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Hate to sound partial, but damn that looks good

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 am

Yes. It does.

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 am

Yup!

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top