Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6021
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

a little progress

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 pm

So here is the 3 piece all glued up and planed flat. The dark pencil line is where I need to start the scarf joint cut.

Measuring the angle for the joint to 10 degrees. This should be plenty of angle so I will not need a string tree on the headstock.

And that's the cut line. My problem now is cutting it. My Miter saw only has a 10" blade so it cannot do it in one cut. My bandsaw is not the widest blade so I'm worried that the cut will not be perfectly straight even if I create a 80 degree angle jig and run against a straight fence, but it's the only thing I can think of to make the cut. If the cut isn't perfect, I'll need to plane both pieces before glueing up. The more the face of it is planed, the closer the angle moves to the nut and I only have a little room to mess with - like 1/8th inch before the nut line needs to move back and in turn change the scale of the neck. Iv'e sketched out a kind of jig that I hope will work with the bandsaw - we shall see.

Back to top Go down

Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by The Chad on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am

You are a brave man Sarc!

Have you consulted a luthier about the neck angle? Couldn't hurt.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am

The Chad wrote:You are a brave man Sarc!

Have you consulted a luthier about the neck angle? Couldn't hurt.
Most seem to use table saws with a blade that is big enough, but I do not have a table saw. Some use a backsaw or a Japanese hand saw, but would hate to mess it up using a hand saw. I may look into renting a table saw so I can make a clean cut if it is cheap enough. I really would like to have this cut done on Saturday so I can make some good progress on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for letting us follow your progress. This gives all of us non talented wood worker types a chance to see the good stuff we wish we could do without making a mess. great stuff thanks

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm

mortarman120gang11c wrote:Thanks so much for letting us follow your progress. This gives all of us non talented wood worker types a chance to see the good stuff we wish we could do without making a mess. great stuff thanks

I am also a non talented wood worker - I'm learning as I go. This (along with the strat neck I'm in the middle of) are the first I've ever tried to make Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jim on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

Man, that woodgrain looks lovely and very promising! Can't wait to see it finished, lacquered!
Glad you got the Jointer so fast after all that trouble you had to go through ordering the first one.

jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm

So I figured if I take some off of the width of the neck I can fit this cut under the band saw. It came out very ugly. but... i think there is enough wood to make it work. Next time I make a scarf joint I will get a table saw. Now the width I took off still allows my template to work, it just got reaaaaal close.
It's not easy to glue an angle on a joint like this but here is my attempt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Wow - although ugly, a vew passes on the Jointer and it looks pretty good. The joint is good but the face of the headstock still needs a bit of work as you see in the second picture.

The dark pencil line is the pint of no return. If i have to sand back to that then I cannot keep the scale as planned. so While there is some sanding, planing to do, I think I have lots of room to make this work.

The joint looks good - my feet... not so much - but it is Florida - I can wear Flipflops year rounds eh

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Looking dangerously close to being a neck!

Ah, life in the sub-tropics.

(swine Sarcaster)

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6021
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Barry wrote:Looking dangerously close to being a neck!

Ah, life in the sub-tropics.

(swine Sarcaster)
Mexi
It's getting close Barry, but where do you get those Mexicanos players - thats the challenge eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am

okay, i'm not a wood worker so please excuse my question if it seems dumb. is there a particular reason why you arranged the pieces that way?

i'm just looking at some other necks i have with scarf joints. they have the headstock piece glued on differently. the headstock piece is glued onto the face of the scarf joint cut on the neck.
the face of the scarf joint cut on the headstock piece is under the fretboard.

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 am

I think Sarcs solution will result in a stronger joint. When strung up the glued faces will be in compression whereas the other way the joint would be subjected to tension. I know that a properly glued joint should be as strong as the surrounding wood but glue - good in compression, not nearly as good in tension.

westcoaster

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am

I think that manufacturers joint that way as it keeps a lot of the tension along the direction of the headstock grain and in the "slip" plane of the joint which in turn is given strength by the fingerboard glued on top of them both.

Not sure if this is official but seems the most logical to me. I would imagine that Sarc's joint will be fine, but a weak joint will allow the headstock to pull away from the back of the neck.

Methinks

Ian

IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 am

gittarasaurus wrote:okay, i'm not a wood worker so please excuse my question if it seems dumb. is there a particular reason why you arranged the pieces that way?

i'm just looking at some other necks i have with scarf joints. they have the headstock piece glued on differently. the headstock piece is glued onto the face of the scarf joint cut on the neck.
the face of the scarf joint cut on the headstock piece is under the fretboard.

Yes there are 2 popular methods and after doing som research I found that the one problem with the joint under the fretboard is that there is a possibility of buzzing when playing on the first few frets if it isn't absolutely perfect. This being my first time doing this I wanted to avoid that possibility Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Ready to start measuring the truss arnd carbon rods

The Dremmel Trio works good for this. Like my homemade fence? I bothed strat neck and my test piece for cutting a scarf on the band saw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Routed the outside of the neck to match the template, rods are in. And the neck fits in the pocket pretty good. Once the carbon rods are dry then I will cut the fretboard and glue that on. Maybe tomorrow it will reall start looking like a neck.

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Mate, that is looking good!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5209
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks eh -can't wait to start shaping it - then it really starts looking like a neck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 pm

thanks for detailing this build sarc, totally fascinating. looking great so far!

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:thanks for detailing this build sarc, totally fascinating. looking great so far!

Thanks for following it - it's been a lot of work, but I'm learning a lot and it is fun. I've bought more tools in the last few months where I could have bought guitars, but it's worth it as I plan to continue with the hobby. The real test will be fretting - I will test on a cheap neck or two from some cheapies I have laying around, but just the cost of fretting tools is scary, let alone installing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm

compared to the highly detailed work you have done with your projects so far, you'll find fretting a walk in the park, if I can do it.........

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:compared to the highly detailed work you have done with your projects so far, you'll find fretting a walk in the park, if I can do it.........

I just haven't tried before - so I need to do it on something else before this one. I'd like to do stainless steel, but everything I read says it ruins the cutters. I'm having no luck in finding good nipper type cutters for stainless steel. Open for any suggestions eh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Ebony fretboard is now attached. I did not do the slotting for the frets - I bought the board pre-slotted which I think was a smart idea. Not too shabby eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Sarc, looking fab, shabby - no.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am

So only about an hour and I have the rough shape of the neck. lots of fine tuning around the heel and headstock to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top