Rust Busting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rust Busting

Post by Barry on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

No, not the kind on yer strings and trem (yuk). We're talking here about the "rust" betwixt yer creative ears.
Albert Einstein's definition of Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, applies equally to guitar playing.

If you're not careful it's very easy to fall into a rut with your playing...same guitar, same gear, same songs, same chords, over and over, etc. I certainly am guilty of falling into this rut, mostly out of time constraints.

So, while you may get more skillful at doing the same thing, you're not likely advancing your skills as a player, and broadening your ability. I came across this interesting article on this very issue which you may find interesting: LINK

Have a read, then tell us what you do to break out of your comfort zone and get the juices following again.

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6119
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rust Busting

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm

I also have to admit my guilt at getting stuck in a rut, I tend to play one of my "warm up pieces" everytime I pick up a guitar or bass....a pretty little ditty in Dsus7 or for bass something like RHCP's version of Higher Ground.....each and every time I do this it leads me down the same tired old path.
I've learned to combat this by picking up the guitar only when thwe missus is listening to "her" music....music I dont particularly like or listen to..like Nick Cave, or any number of the new folk artists doing the rounds currently....and play along with it, I dont care how much it annoys her, IMO my playing only improves her tunes Smile

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bigneil on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

I was stuck in a rut for years. Playing the same riffs or songs for ever, only picking up the guitar once or twice a month, until I accidentally took on a beginner student, I enjoyed teaching him and soon had several young students. At this point you have no choice but to start brushing up on techniques and theory and learn songs that you would never normally play.

It also earns a little pocket money and gives you a justifiable reason to have lots of guitars n gear. It's also very rewarding.

bigneil
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I've always found that playing along with anything on TV is a good exercise. Movie, tv shows, commercials, anything. Lot's of styles, tempo changes, key changes (mostly in movies) and dynamics. I think it it is a great way to build the ability to anticipate and improvise.

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm

sarcaster wrote:I've always found that playing along with anything on TV is a good exercise. Movie, tv shows, commercials, anything. Lot's of styles, tempo changes, key changes (mostly in movies) and dynamics. I think it it is a great way to build the ability to anticipate and improvise.

Yep; this is a technique I've used for years after reading about it somewhere as a teenager though I've fallen into some pretty deep ruts along the way as well! It's hard not to when you're playing covers in a working band; you can't really branch off into Locrian flights of fancy when the punters want to hear Proud Mary....

I've tried to play styles that I'm unfamiliar with, or am not keen on, just to keep my playing fresh but these days I'm afraid that when I pick up a guitar it's generally the same selection of tired tunes that get a thrashing, and not even complete songs; stuff like the intro to Nothing else matters, which I feel is one of the prettiest pieces ever written, Classical Gas, Chuck Es in love and Take Five generally find their way into the repertoire as well as other tunes that I can still sing, eh!!

I do still try to work out stuff I've heard and liked the old fashioned way by sitting down with the song and playing it over and over and over and over..... Star Hotel by Cold Chisel is my current bęte noire!

So; I'm just as mired in habit as most....

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5248
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm

bigneil wrote:...gives you a justifiable reason to have lots of guitars n gear...
See, now that's the right attitude! Each guitar is different, and suggests (or demands) that you play a different way.
So you just gotta have a bunch of 'em!
Right dear?

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6119
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Right on, the same old isn't good enough.

Unless you want to be a "tribute" act to yourself.

I'm refusing to play anything i already "know" during practice times. Forces me to always be improving.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2467
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top