Best live performance by guitarist you have ever witnessed...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Best live performance by guitarist you have ever witnessed...

Post by colt933 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:58 pm

I saw SRV with BB King and the Fabulous Thuderbirds at the Grand Old Opry in 1985. The sound was great and SRV blew me away.

I've seen Eric Johnson several times in various sized venues all the way from 100 people in a tiny club up to a festival at Nashville riverfront park with 10k people and a few in-between.

I saw Pink Floyd at Vanderbilt stadium in 1994.

Dire Straits at TPAC in 1985.

It's hard to choose.

I will finally see Rush for the first time May 1 in Nashville.

colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I saw Nuno Bettencourt with Extreme many times back in the day - very impressive + seriously groovetastic playing!

IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:06 pm

I've seen LOTS of shows. Saw the Grateful Dead about 65 times, Jerry put on some great shows! Saw all the 80's metal guitarists, got picks from Eddie,Satch,Vai,George Lynch and others. I think the best individual performance was Steve Vai about 6 months ago in Portland. He blew me away - the man has still got it!
Some great stories on here - i think the one i envy most is the Paco/Dimeola/Mclaughlin show. Talk about sick guitar playing, everyone here should have that in their catalog.

hobster

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:07 pm

i clocked a lot of miles on the road with the Dead too.
i first saw the Dead in '77, in Williamsburg VA. i lived in Maryland and we used to drive up and down the east coast to see them play, Hartford, NYC, Pittsburg, Philly, DC, Richmond, Norfolk, Hampton, Roanoke, Charlotte and more. the Dead would sometimes play for 2 or 3 weeks straight at Madison Square Garden in New York City, sell out every performance, and play a different show every night!
i even traveled to Red Rocks in Morrison CO to see them a couple times.
here is one night when i think a large portion of the audience was on a little psychedelic enhancement and maybe the band knew it, cause they were messin with our minds big time. an amazing show September 7, 1985 crank it up and dance around the house!

the old saying really is true: there is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert.
the boys could make some magic for sure.
sure do miss Jerry.

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Never got too far into the Dead although I greatly respected their love of the impromptu and improvisation.

Not quite that many around today like them and the Allman Bros. who could freeform seemingly forever at the drop of a hat.

Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2859
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Ha, somehow i'm not suprised at tour GD touring.Very Happy I still have hundreds of tapes in the closet. I moved to the west coast in 95 - a couple of weeks before Jerry died. I'm sure you know all about the Eugene connections, i used to see Kesey around here alot.
I only saw about 5 west coast shows, i came from Virginia ( i think we've discussed our east coast roots before) so i saw most shows on the east coast too. Buckeye lake, Deer creek was as far west as we went. Been to Chicago, NY,Philly,..........etc, even Birmingham Alabama to see em. I wish i saw more 80's shows, you are one lucky dude. They got banned after the Richmond show (i lived there 8 years) but i saw Jerry there in the 90's. Loved the Cap centre runs - god i miss the Dead. That red rocks show was sick by the way, they played alot of good ones in 85! You should be grateful for seeing them when they still kicked ass, and all those Zappa shows you saw - envy!

hobster

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

it was quite amazing to go to the Dead shows and see the hundreds of microphone stands and the untold thousands of dollars worth of equipment people brought along to record the shows.

i've spent most of my life going to live concerts. not much of anything i like better than live music. pretty early on i realized i was seeing some amazing stuff. so in the mid 70's, i began a long career of covert recordings. i tried to record every show i attended, no matter what the venue. at this point i have over 400 concert tapes i personally recorded, sitting in the dark, holding a microphone and tape deck. it is A FRIGGING AWESOME COLLECTION! i call it The Electrostatic Retrospective Archive.

i like to share too. i've been working my way through my tapes and converting them to digital files. i have found an online data sharing website called Dropbox, where i can privately and securely post up a recording. then i can share links with anyone, and they can download the files. there is a limited amount of online storage available at one time, but it is free, so you can't beat the price. what i have to do is; post a recording, share it, then delete it to make room for the next one to be posted and shared.
if anybody is interested you can PM me and i can notify you by email when i have recordings available.

here is a sample to get you started:
i have this one posted now for download, this link will only work for another week or so until i have the next recording ready (if the link is dead and you want a copy, just send me a PM and we can work it out).

King Crimson Live
June 30, 1984
Merriweather Post Pavillion

Three Of A Perfect Pair tour
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Tony Levin
Bill Bruford

i must say, this one is an exceptional recording! these are NOT MP3 files, but are full fidelity files(.wav).
i don't mind if you want to pass the recordings on, but please don't screw them up by converting to a lossy format and distributing to others.
and don't forget to support the artists who created the music too!

gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top