Nervous.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nervous.....

Post by The Don on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 am

I'm in a band called Wyld Bird Seed. Apart from Mrs. Don who is young, gorgeous and optimistic, the rest of us are a bunch of grumpy old men. We've been rehearsing for a few months now and on Sunday we have our first proper gig (as opposed to just playing at friends' parties). It's a 1 hour spot and we have 14 numbers ready for the masses.

I think it's 23 years since I last played in front of people I don't know and I have to admit to starting to feel a little nervous.

I'll be using my Spectrum GT for the whole gig with the Spectrum ST as a reserve in case I get over enthusiastic and snap a string.

The Don

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2013-03-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Nervous.....

Post by Catalyst on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:35 am

I know nothing about performing live mate, but my sons guitar teacher has just performed with his band at the Download Festival. Speaking to him the other day he said he was as nervous as hell before playing but went on to say that he probably played the best he ever had because of it.....and that GT has just gotta help!!..Very Happy

Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:28 pm

When I began to play live again after a 30yr break it was tough. Our first gig was a 3hr long gig and I was really nervous. Once I began to play and the joy of playing hit me again it was nervous no more and I have never looked back. Just don't think about it and focus on the music and the rest will take care of itself. Best of luck. Arthur:band:

mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Awesome Don.  After a looooooong lay-off I gigged a month ago and cant wait for the next one   sure you'll be nervous, but if you know your stuff you'll be fine after the first song. Dont worry sbout mistakes - they happen, just enjoy. I was buzzing for days after that gig, ready to pack in my job and hit the road Very Happy

westcoaster

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 pm

I get very nervous guitar playing on stage as well.  Use it to your advantage. Concentrate on your playing and the other guys in the band, try to not focus on the crowd!  You'll mess up probably, but who cares.  Even the BEST make mistakes all the time.  Enjoy it!

The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 pm

You'll be fine; I used to get nervous before going on, even after 30 years of doing it!! As soon as you're halfway through the first number, you won't recall being nervous at all!

Break a leg out there!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone, just had a run through with Mrs. Don and it's all good.

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Best of luck to ya Don, it'll be a breeze for sure!
that speccy GT will do half the work for you!

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3101
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Screw the butterflies. They sing off key anyway.
Go git 'em Don!

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6016
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:54 pm

As you all expected, we knocked it out of the park (as our transatlantic cousins would say). Still on a high several hours later (though the post-gig beer may have helped too).

We did so well, we ended up with another booking Very Happy

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Yay!

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6016
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Pix??

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:48 am

Where did you play Don?

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 am

grogg wrote:Where did you play Don?
It was the beer festival at the Lion in Trellech, Monmouthshire.

It was an open mic event but because our bassist is a regular we got the first slot, and got a whole hour.

I reckon we were the second best band on. The only ones better IMO were Big Fish but they're a pickup blues band made up of professional musicians (guitarist was ex Blonde on Blonde, the drummer ex-Hawkwind).

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 am

Alright Don!!!  kingcheers  Way to go buddy, great things ahead.

The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 pm

That's a lovely part of the world.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 am

We've now got two bookings on successive nights in 5 weeks time as a direct result of our performance. The problem is that because we're old codgers (Mrs. Don excepted) we're also busy old codgers with tight diaries (5 of the 6 band members are company directors) so we'll find it difficult to work up a new set in that time.

We'll need a new set because our regular drummer is on holiday and his replacement, who drums on Latin numbers while our regular drummer whales away on the congas, is  a little more limited. The Latin numbers will have to go (which is a shame because we're good at them and they fill a good 10 minutes) and be replaced with some rock numbers.

We're also doing 2x45 minutes instead of 1x1hour so that's 50% more material on songs that are typically shorter.

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 am

grogg wrote:That's a lovely part of the world.

Too right, the view from outside our kitchen door - with Spectrum ST.

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 am

My daughter lives in Coleford, been up that way many times.

Beautiful part of the UK.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 am

Know what you mean on time to rehearse (not to mention time at home to learn the material).  NOT easy to make the time!  Do you have any video of your set?  Love to see performances (no matter how great or warty they are).

The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 am

The Chad wrote:Know what you mean on time to rehearse (not to mention time at home to learn the material).  NOT easy to make the time!  Do you have any video of your set?  Love to see performances (no matter how great or warty they are).
The only thing that I've seen so far is a Facebook post (Mrs Don does teh Facebooks, I don't) of our last number, Teenage Kicks, where we got horribly discombobulated (Other guitar and bass ploughed on down to G when we should have gone back to D but at least we all finished together more or less Very Happy). I'll if it's also on teh yootubez.

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Good on you for doing it i say Don..
I'm in the old working far too much ( out of house 15 hours 5 days a week an doing running around for 2 days trying to catch up) point..
My playing has slide way back so i'm thinking of lessons to just get a different angle on it..
Seem to get stuck in a giant rut an just stay there playing the same things every time i pick one up.....

G.A.S. man

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:03 am

Another day, another gig.......

We've had to change things around a bit. Our usual drummer is on holiday so one of Il Percussioni is standing in. He's also a good drummer and is pretty familiar with our set but we've had to get used to each other and get tight on start and end of songs. The trouble is that we don't have extra percussion so the (nice long) Latin numbers have had to be dropped from our set. Our other guitarist has also insisted that for this gig we do 2x1 hour sets (as opposed to 1x1hour) which has meant about 75 minutes of new material to be learned and rehearsed with a new drummer in 4 weeks.

On one of our numbers, our bassist plays trombone which means I have to step in on bass. Although I like his Fender Precision, I feel a Spectrum bass coming on, did they do a Spectrum GT bass in blue burst ? Very Happy

Then tomorrow we have another gig but without our bassist, so we've decided to go unplugged two guitars, singer, cajon. It's a cliche I know but needs must.

Oh, and we did so well with our fist gig, we've been invited back to open at their Cider Festival on the 11th August. Unfortunately we'll be without our other guitarist so that'll entail another shuffle around of the set (all two guitar numbers out) but we will have our full compliment of percussion (so Latin numbers back in).

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:39 am

Until now I've taken a spare guitar to each gig in case of mishaps. Now that I have "Blue" and "Blue Two" I can even take identical guitars to the gig.

As we were leaving the house going to the gig on Sunday Mrs. Don asked whether I was taking a spare. Because we were only playing a single 45 minute set and because space is limited in the boot of the XJ-S I decided against is. Predictably, inevitably, I snapped the D string as I launched into a solo Embarassed which of course meant that the guitar pinged out of tune.

Fortunately it was the final solo on the final number (indeed the second encore) so I found where the guitar had re-tuned itself and carried on regardless. The audience barely noticed (although I'll leave you to decide whether this was due to how well I covered up the string failure or how badly I usually play Very Happy). It's the first sting failure in years and it's on Blue Two. I checked at the saddle (where the string failed) but there was nothing obviously catching the string. I lubricated with graphite but will keep an eye of the guitar and take a spare.

We went down so well on the 2nd that the pub wants us to play a regular monthly gig. cheers

edited to add........

Wyld Bird Seed now have a web presence, or more specifically a Facebook page, all we need now is more content. Maybe we're so good people forget to photograph or record our performances Very Happy

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:03 am

Finally, some video of our performance at Primstock.

It's our penultimate number, the self-penned "Funky Time". We're not as tight as I would have wished but we've only run through it a couple of times in rehearsal and we had been drinking for 7 hours.

The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top