Just bought a XA 1330 in very good shape.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just bought a XA 1330 in very good shape.......

Post by madmarcus1960 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:38 pm

should I be happy?
I love Japanese guitar of many flavors. I own Yamaha's(Weddington, Pacifica 921,AES800), Ibanez's(2 Custom Blazers), a Vantage 718DT ETC. I've read alot about Westones being a sleeper guitar, great shred guitars especially. What should I expect for problems or a general playing experience.

Thanks,
Marc

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts: 45
Registration date: 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Just bought a XA 1330 in very good shape.......

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello Marc and Welcome! Smile

In answer to your question, it has to be a very definite YES!
cheers

I've never owned one but if it is anything as good as all the other Westone models, you shouldn't have any problems with it whatsoever. I had a Spectrum SX and that was a superb guitar to play, if that helps. Some of the guys here who own them will no doubt give you the full low down on how good they are.

Put some piccies in the Members Westones forum so we can see what you've got!
cyclops

Pauline
:flower: :queen:

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 pm

They're a goodie, these Anniversary models - light as hell with a beautiful neck and a good trem set-up. The only gripe I have is that the h/b is in fact not a true h/b but 2 singles whacked together; I shall replace the one on my Genesis II with an MMK 75 just to see what happens....
Setting up the Bendmaster is a touch fiddly but no worse than any FR from what I'm told.

You are going to show us what you've got, right...? Very Happy

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts: 4600
Registration date: 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Yes folk I'll post some pics of my 6 string kids, including the new one when it comes in next week. Do you recommend replacing the pickups?

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:55 am

No, not really Very Happy ; I used the Genesis for gigging many times and it was a revelation, really!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it; they are very smooth single coils and I'm actually looking for some Matsomoku singles to bung into my strat!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts: 4600
Registration date: 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Well the guitar came in in less than advertised condition. The body has some cracks/splits in the finish as if it had been dropped. Not severe enough to return it, but it had been posted as great physical condition. The Bendmaster had alot of rusting on the saddles and the lower/inner spacers for the locking nut were missing the middle and one end. The fretboard was filthy and the frets dull and dirty (a little dinged up on the 2nd and 3rd strings up the 1st 8 frets).

Well I clean the frets and the fretboard, first masking off the fretboard using medium Scotch-Brite to clean and lightly resurface the frets. I then remove the tape and scrubbed the fretboard with guitar polish and the lightest Scotch-Brite. I literally changed colors on me, it was so dirty. I took the tremeloo completely apart and removed all the rust I could see using Scotch-Brite and believe it or not Deox-it electronic component deoxifier(for cleaning and lubing pots). It worked great. I flushed it with alcohol to remove the cleaner.

I then used some .050" aluminum stock to fab the missing locking nut pieces.

It's all set to restring as soon as I treat the neck with lemon oil.

One question i have for you all is has anybody removed the locking nut, replaced the tuners with locking machines and just used the straight nut only?

I'll try to post pics after I get it back together and see if I plan on keeping it. I paid $150 USA including a beat up case. I've paid more for lesser guitars, I hope this plays well enough to be a keeper. Cosmetics have always been secondary to me. I have quite a few "Relics" so to speak. Very Happy

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum