Tones, how's your Eq?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tones, how's your Eq?

Post by Meadows on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Reason for post...and I may be late coming to the table for those that already use this tone, but the other day I went straight from my guitar into a little 10w Kustom and killed the mids on the amp EQ completely, treble and bass at 12 a clock.

Rolled off the tone half way on the guitar and rolled back the volume a tad. Great Jazz tones. Then flipped in the gain on the amp, a quarter turn and pulled the volume back on the guitar, great blues tones and scooping the mids creates a real warmth....tried this setup with three different guitars, from a tele to a h/h,s/h...each sounded great to my ears...just thought I would share this.

Just wondered what tones you guys are playing with at the moment? Care to share?

Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Tones, how's your Eq?

Post by corsair on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:26 am

I've been doing just this with the pre-sets on a little Boss ME-30 I bought back from Jersey through a little Kustom amp!!

These days, - on the FX - I prefer to dial the mids in and flatten the bass response more than I used to, and the treble at no gain/no loss, and then load on the various effects. The amp is set to treble up a touch, bass down a fair bit and both the mid ranges set up a little. Gain is high and then adjust volume to suit - seems to work OK. I have a bank on the FX set aside for the 12 string; all tones set flat, and bank 1 dry signal, bank 2 hall reverb + 500ms delay and bank 3 room reverb and a touch - just a touch! - of overdrive; those MMK45s in a 12 just ring out, eh!!

However, back "in the day" when I was using pedalboards, I had a Boss GE7 in the mix which I had set for lead lines; I can't remember exactly how it was set up without dragging the boards out, but I'm pretty sure I had the bass freqs slightly cut, the low mids up, the hi mids further up  and the treble flat with an slight overall gain boost; this was the last pedal in line before the gate, so it certainly added some punch. Of course, in those days, I was a believer in the "More is more!!" school of thought and I'm quite sure some of my most-liked sounds were actually bloody dreadful!! 

Those boards were running through my old, old Holden 100w valve combo which had only bass and treble controls on its 2 channels, and these were set - once again, from dodgy memory - at about halfway through their travel. It was, and is, a great old amplifier that is a part of NZ musical history, with a beautiful sound. It now lives with Don and his collection of oddball amplifiers...

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5206
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Adey on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:04 am

I just tend to plug in and turn everything up to 11...

Cool affraid

Adey
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:31 am

Adey wrote:I just tend to plug in and turn everything up to 11...

Cool affraid
Laughing   It would be rude not to.... Twisted Evil

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:48 am

corsair wrote:These days, - on the FX - I prefer to dial the mids in and flatten the bass response more than I used to, and the treble at no gain/no loss, and then load on the various effects. The amp is set to treble up a touch, bass down a fair bit and both the mid ranges set up a little. Gain is high and then adjust volume to suit - seems to work OK.

Thanks John, just been trying this with a Roland JC (clean),and it really brings the guitar into the mix without being over bright. I then kept adding more mids till it went beyond the sweet spot then rolled back and even then bringing back some bass took that sound to a new place, need to try this at volume live, I bet it really cuts. A complete contrast from cutting the mids almost to the point of muddiness, which is what I have been playing with, as ever so much to try and learn, thanks for sharing that. Smile

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 am

Adey wrote:I just tend to plug in and turn everything up to 11...

Cool affraid
We had a belly full of that at the shop (RIP). Inevitably, dude would plug into a bloody great Marshall to test out an expensive guitar like a top end Gretsch, then crank the piss out of it. Never could hear any "subtleties" or "tone". Just loud distortion.

These days I mainly bugger about in my room on low wattage amps at reasonable volumes, or plug in the acoustics via the PA, but they all  generally have the Bass & Treb in the flat position (12 o'clock-ish). No separate EQ board at all, never used 'em for my stuff, except on the PA, which is also pretty much flat centre.

I guess I do that to try and appreciate the tonal differences in each of my guitars. Too much fiddling except to eliminate feedback, etc, tends to pollute things too much. Boring huh?

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 6017
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 am

Maybe practical Barry but not boring, and yes if your amp is always sett the same then the difference in each guitar/pickups will be more evident and appreciated, your audio reference is in place.

As an aside, tried this the other day...standard s/s/s strat, positions 1&2, rear eq pot 3/4's up, then rolled back the front tone pot almost completely and in the track used positions 1&2 for the rhythm and 3/4/5 for details and a break. Stating the obvious it really was like having two different guitars on the go that totally complemented each other...worth trying if you don't already..or not

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Seldom use much mid. If the amps got it maybe a smidgeon.
Try an attenuater...works wonders.

Most higher wattage amps only come to life at higher volumes.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 4778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:44 pm

Westbone wrote:Try an attenuater...works wonders.

Most higher wattage amps only come to life at higher volumes.
Hey Damian, never tried one I don't think, just reading up on them (power attenuators). Just from a quick glance it appears getting the right one to compliment the output stage and match the impedance is a must, need to read more.

Are we going down the route of 1 watt/5 Watt amps that can be used and driven at backline volume? (obviously mic'd)

Any particular brand you would recommend from experience?

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Meadows wrote:
Are we going down the route of 1 watt/5 Watt amps that can be used and driven at backline volume? (obviously mic'd)

Any particular brand you would recommend from experience?
They don't need 'em 1/5 watt.
I'm a big fan of older Peavey valve amps and have a Peavey compatable one currently with a Triumph PAG 120 + Bravo 25 watt. Can have them at any volume you fancy and still be full of 'valve' driven tone....Smile

The daily tester amp is a Peavey Studio Pro 40, great little tranny amp. Pick 'em up for peanuts, nice sounds;)
at low volumes when you work out the cockeyed controls. What you think is the volume control is not.. Evil or Very Mad Grab one, stick a decent Celestion in there, great small amp.

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:16 am

Cheers Damian, great call must check one out. Don't have a lot of experience with Peavey amp's tbh, although one of my students has a valveking and that sounds very sweet at home volume.

Need to look into these attenuators more...cheers Smile

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:48 am

I tried a little Peavey Backstage Plus once upon a time, and liked it, and though I felt it was a little harsh, it served well as a practice amp for ages! it meant I didn't have to get the Holden out - it weighs as much as the moon!!

Peavey is good gear at a reasonable price, I reckon!

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:49 am

Just been looking up those Holden amps John and came across this clip of a Wasp 200w. The camera pans to the rear to show the guts and those huge transformers Evil or Very Mad , that explains the weight. Didn't realise Angus used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmYiJZg8Cn0

In the mid 70's we were lugging around Sound City's, a Selmer tweed combo and an old Selmer Treble and bass, also a Hi Watt I think. Managed to save up and get a used britsh made Burman 502, that too was a serious ball breaker.

As you have said Damian, get a decent old valve amp and you get that tone

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 am

Meadows wrote:

In the mid 70's we were lugging around Sound City's, a Selmer tweed combo and an old Selmer Treble and bass, also a Hi Watt I think. Managed to save up and get a used britsh made Burman 502, that too was a serious ball breaker.

Still have a couple of the old Selmers, Croc skin T n B head and a later silver face one. 
Talking of weight. Just sold this tranny amp, great amps for clean sounds but 'king heavy 33kgs and BIG.Just take up too much space. Yamaha G100 410. Fanatastic clean sounds though. Would suit your sound Simon having heard the CD.
Also just sold the G100 212 and G100 112 versions. Great amps but need the space. Going down the small amp way but won't mention at the moment what they are as I'm buying a good few....Cool

Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:52 am

n
Meadows wrote:Just been looking up those Holden amps John and came across this clip of a Wasp 200w. The camera pans to the rear to show the guts and those huge transformers Evil or Very Mad , that explains the weight!!

Ron Holden built the 200w Wasp with cabs for a NZ band called Ticket who were resident in Oz at the time, and that, I think, is where the brothers Young saw and heard them. My Reverb 100 is pretty much the same deal with 6550s in the power section and ECC83s elsewhere; pretty robust gear, really.

As much as I love amps with glowing bottles in 'em, these days I'm for tiny s/s jobs and a power of FX!!! :-)

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am

Just thinking about it, that Selmer combo had a fake croc finish (filing clerk's getting lazy),

Just found your past listing for the G100 112 on the bay. Don't know how rare they are but would definitely consider trying the single twelve version (age/size/weight ratio applied) if you reckon it would suit the reggae gigs. Cheers

It's crazy really, when we were young we just grabbed any bit of kit going as long as it sort of worked most of the time with a bit of a kick. Weight?...no problem...you had mates...big was better and totally rock n roll....couldn't play for poop though but hey, you were in a band !!! Cool Life was sweet

Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:11 pm

I stuck an attenuator in the 30w cab that I use with a 5w head, just couldn't get anywhere near home volumes without it, bloody good job it does too.

re: Eq, I've been leaving the amps eqs flat and using a Zoom G3 multistomp thing, with it's Matchless amp sim's eq set with bass at 3 oclock, mids about 7oclock and treble full up and gain reasonably high, riding the guitars volume to taste, gives me all sorts of tone variations.
The guitars I've been hammering most recently are a pair of 93' Korean Hohners, one L-90 gold top with Regentone p90s and a L-59 burst with a pair of cheap alnico II Vanson 57 buckers, both have "50s" wiring (Oil City Pickups loom in the L-90)
I'm rambling a bit but yeah, killing the mids is all kinds of interesting!

Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Adey on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:51 am

OK. Rather than really turning everything up to 11, I tend to do most of my home practice through a Blackstar HT1.

Other than have the "Infinate Shape Feature", which is meant to change the sound from "America" to "British" (but just seems to be a knob to twiddle that does very little), it just has a volume, gain and reverb. I experiment with my different tones through these simple changes and the controls on the guitar.

On my guitars with independant controls of two humbuckers, I tend to flick about on the threeway  to select different tone/volume settings if a song needs it, and add in the odd dose of Chorus or overdrive.

Adey
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top