Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Post by grogg on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Looks like us old fogeys have hijacked this thread. Good to see BB King get a mention, saw him recently, still a great performer. Wilcox brings back some memories, gooduns. Heres a couple of others worthy of some honours:-
Nils Lofgren, used to do somersaults off a trampet mid solo without missing a note
Santana - cant believe hes not been mentioned or did I miss him?

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Enthusiasm for Hendrix' technical ability - Those under (edit: 80)...who's your guitar hero?

Post by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks Grogg - Santana took the harmonic scale and blew it to pieces!!

Norfolkingood - Yep.. Ritchie Blackmore was insanely fast - and moreover I always felt that his riffs "had direction" if you know what I mean. My favourite by him is LAZY - from Machine Head.

And I would say Les Paul was a great (have said it too) - and the album "Chester and Lester" is brilliant.

+++++++++++++++++

Also - I've edited the thread title a bit - now we don't need to feel guilty.

Speaking of harmonic scales....

I can't believe that I forgot Buck Dharma

of Blue Oyster Cult.

Epic solo on "Veteran of the psychic wars" - note this is 80's music - what a ray of light that was IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrd2xf5DIlU

As someone said "Makes Stairway to Heaven sound like the theme from Gilligan's Island." Laughing

anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Right-o chaps, I feel that we've probably done this one to death... and that we're also probably pretty bloody close to having the thread locked; this IS a Westone forum, when all's said and done... but I'll get mine in before that happens.... Laughing

1. James Wilkinson - a NZ guitar player whose technique, phrasing and humility are beyond compare. Really, I've seen a lot of the players mentioned here over the years and James is easily their equal. "Trimming hedges"

2. Ian Moss - Aussie player with the band Cold Chisel; never ever lets the guitar or the solo get in the song's way and when he rocks, he has feel and technique in spades. "Star Hotel"

3. Kenny Burrell - jazz player, chordal melodies, jaw-dropping ease and fluidity. "Bye and bye"

4. Randy Bachman - best work with Guess Who; simply stunning song writing and playing skills; none of his stuff is easy to play, just easy on the ear! "Undun"

5. Wally Bryson - the Raspberries' guitarist; rarely took a solo but his rhythm phrasing and chord structures are just SO easy on the ear. Used a twin neck 6/12 onstage... "Go all the way"

6. Rory Gallagher - Irish bluesman. Another messy, all-over -the-place player, but God, he was good! Meet him backstage in 1979, and a nicer guy you'll never have met. "Shadow play"

So there's an arbitrary top 6 from me; a list like this changes for me evert day but today, at this moment, all of these guys are an inspiration to me, but that said so is anyone who plays an instrument; and that includes singers.

Rock on... Twisted Evil

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5212
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Under 80?! Feel comforirritablenow, where me teeth?

grogg

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Mmmm, so many good guitarists, and so many names I saw in lights during the 70's and 80's. Hendrix was way ahead of his time and has a selected place in my LP (Long player !!!) collection. I'm also partial to Joe Walsh from James gang forward, Andy powell from Wishbone Ash, Leslie West from his Mountain days, and Santana. Saw Santana in 2006 at Wembly ... outstanding. Billy Gibbons from ZZ top ... very unique ... also saw them at Wembly.

Met Blackmore and team in "72", got his autograph somewhere! Tony Mcphee ... also met him after a Groundhogs gig in the local SU building in "72". Nice blokes!

Thin Lizzy live were a joy to behold as was the Sensational Alex Harvet Band ... Zal Cleminson .. Great! Saw Rory Gallager at the local theatre in Coventry ... the loudest gig I have ever been to .. deaf for days after. Sabbath also were entertaining.

Saw Queen on their first tour and Brian May, well, he had / has talent a plenty. Strangely, I saw 10cc in the 70's and both guitarists were polished and new their stuff.

The strangest gig I went to was in the late 70's when punk was at its height. The Sex Pistols were banned from most places but we heard that they were to play a night club in Coventry under another name. The place was packed solid with punks, safety pins, spittle ... and who walked on to the stage .... Alvin Lee. I think he was just as surprised as we were.

I went through a Jazz phase after that Earl Klugh, Johnny Smith, Wilbert Longmire and so many others. So clever and so way ahead of anything I could do or imagine. Not sure there are many guitarists who can make the transition from Rock to Jazz. As far as bassist go , there is only one Jaco Pastoris (I think that's how its spelt?) If I remember correctly, didn't he play the Voodoo Chile guitar part on the bass?

As for Buck Dharma, "Dont fear the reaper" is coming with me to my desert island.

And now, well, I listen in the car to a range of guitar technologists ... Vai, Satriani, etc. Still go back and listen to SRV now and again.

Good thread this ...brought back names I'd ... err ...forgotten!

Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:10 pm

One of my fave guitar plays, not the best but I love it. Skip forward to about 2.30 mins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeHnEOV1T4
Ooh we're all wavering around the 50 mark.

On to bass next.

grogg

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Grogg - Lofgren was great - gosh I forgot about him.

++++++++++++

Steve777 - thinking about some of my old Rory Gallagher vinyl locked away in the basement. I've got to find one of those USB-friendly turntables.

+++++++++++

John, mention of the Raspberries got some gears grinding.....

<BANG>, ow. OK I also forgot Pete Ham, the guitarist in this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

I think the music was backtracked in this version with live vocals... <sigh>... still it was an amazing song... etched in my mind. Badfinger was one of my favourites from the 70's... I remember listening to this stuff on AM radio in my Dad's Pontiac "Safari" wagon, on trips to the lake.

Power pop at its best.

++++++++++++++++++++++

More forehead thumpers: Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick - perhaps rock's first anti-hero. As well as David Grohl from the Foo Fighters.

And also: Django Reinhardt

Last edited by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : had to dredge the car model plus son's periodic advice)

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Here's a representative vid of Jack White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1stuzGmz0&NR=1

The drummer has a .... unique style.

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:40 am

anaerobe wrote: OK I also forgot Pete Ham, the guitarist in this band:

Yeah; Badfinger were a great band: Pete was the rhythm player, Joey Molland did the good stuff. Odd that both Pete and Tom hung themselves though.... perhaps being the first to sign to Apple wasn't all it was cracked up to be!!? Shocked McCartney certainly had numbers on himself: he made Badfinger record and release one of his tunes - the execrable 'Come and get it', when Pete Ham already had 'No matter what' written. And he's still a prat...

The Raspberries - yes indeedy; Eric Carmen at his sleazy best before he went all 'cabaret'; Wally Bryson is such a tasteful player...

I also like Glenn Buxtons work with Alice, and Mick Ronsons with Bowie...

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kebabage on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:07 pm

I'd say the drummer, Meg has a minimalist style (purely due to lack of skill hehehe)
Jack relies on alot of effects but does rock, quite the eccentric!

kebabage
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:43 pm

For all of you who are wondering about Django Reinhardt, here he is (be patient he will play eventually on this track):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpO5xIltlyU&feature=fvw

He liked to play with Stephan Grapelli, a great violinist and pianist in his own right. Smile

...and this is a very clear vid of Django shredding with some friends in NY... solo after solo... brilliant stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a64uyOUw_A&feature=related

Last edited by anaerobe on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Kebabage, quite right about Meg, I believe. I heard somewhere that White asks her NOT to practice, for the sounds he wants. lol!

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Reinhardt and Grapelli, what brilliance.

grogg

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm

... and Django played with a damaged hand (there was a fire in his caravan, left him with two fingers partially fused together). Much of his stuff with the Hot Club is bar chords; it was easier for him to move his hand than his fingers.

Puts my "haven't played much lately, losing my callouses" into context!

BTW, liking this thread, got me blowing the dust off some of my old CDs (I flogged all my viny after my old Dynatron, there's a name from the 70's, finally died but I've replaced most of the good stuff on CD)

norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Django was cetainly one of a kind! You've gotta wonder about deals with the devil and crossroads at midnite when you hear his playing and realise that he's only using 2 fretting fingers due to a fire in his caravan! And he literally wore out a guitar every six months... Shocked

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Shifting gears again... I found a pretty obscure clip of Frank Zappa live. This is a basic blues progression, and for his solo, go straight to 5:40.

I've yet to hear anything quite like it eg, this depth of eastern fusion :farao: injected into a blues format:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cjNUgZFr0&feature=related

And the somewhat less frenetic "Black Napkins" ..live - I really enjoy his use of the low E string on this tune, he strangles it for all its its worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-NMnYhM3Q&feature=related

Last edited by anaerobe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more good stuff begging to be added)

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

How about Wilko Johnson from Dr Feelgood. Saw them a few times and they were great entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaybV46MA6E

grogg

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Yup, really good.

Here are some others, if they have been added let me know:

Good older guitarists: Roger Waters, Joe Strummer, Johnny Winter

Good newer guitarists: Colin James, Buckethead.

Here's a vid of the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3TT0E0uwU&feature=related

And for you Led Zeppelin fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9mPXNqsDmU&feature=related

Here's a cover of "Stone Free" that brought a smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AYnRihySE&feature=related

Here's another "jam session" with just about all but the kitchen sink (Bach, banjo, a well known movie theme), check out the banjo in the mid of the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q3p_o8A6g

Buckethead is unusual, but my gosh he's talented. The song at 5:10 is amazing IMHO.

Last edited by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong "Winter" :) - and a better bunch of solos)

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey chaps!

I found this really interesting reading but as John (Corsair) rightly pointed out, this really isn't a Westone discussion topic. However, I'm not that much of a monster that I would lock the thread so I have just moved it to here instead.

For what it is worth, my son who is almost 23 is a huge fan of Hendrix as are many of the younger generations in my family. Personally, I was never very keen on the man nor his music and I have to admit that I preferred his more 'slower' and laid back songs like 'Little Wing' and even perhaps 'Red House'.

On a final note as far as talented guitarist are concerned, I would like to say that I haven't seen any mention of Robert Johnson who was way ahead of his time!

Polly
:queen: :flower:

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks Polly! Cool

How 'bout buckethead?

Last edited by anaerobe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .. had to ask!)

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Ah well, perhaps buckethead is ... too eccentric.

Back to other "old" heroes...

Syd Barrett was great before he dropped off the deep end.

Also: Dickie Betts

Also: Pete Townshend

Young guitar gods:

Dime (Dimebag Darrell Lance Abbott)

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Buckethead amazing, forgotten him. Not for the fainthearted tho.

grogg

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Buckethead is sort of like a modern day Hendrix. Astoundingly skilled, but 9 out of 10 of his songs will make your ears bleed.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks boys. Both of you are exactly bang on with those assessments eg, faint-hearted need not apply and Hendrixian parallels IMHO. Buckethead's really up in the stratosphere. I had a chuckle watching a vid of him on a PBS special... 90% of the audience were looking at each other and the other 10% were rocking out. Same reaction in 1969 for Hendrix, playing stuff with his teeth.

Bucketheadian factoid: I read that the theatrical mask thing is due to extreme stage-fright... if that's correct, he's doing OK.

Back down to earth, or at least on earth itself are one of the best bands (British, American, Canadian, Kiwistanian, etc bar none) I ever heard as a 14 year old -> present, if for nothing other than their honesty and guts in their stage shows. Joe Strummer et al (Clash)...

I include "I fought the Law" simply because I couldn't find Death or Glory. Good sound on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4&feature=related

anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:06 am

Frenchy wrote:Being in my forties....

You seemed to have missed some large names and influences so far in the guitar greats....

Some of my influences for guitar include:

Brian May (large sound for a 4 piece band)
Randy Rhoads (a god in his short lived carreer)
Angus Young (what a sound and impact on Rock music!)
Eddie Van Halen (the modern rock Hendrix)
Tony Iommy (the Dark Lord )
Gleen Tipton and KK Downing (the roots of Metal)

P.

Angus Young..? Dunno, Malcolm Young definitely as he's the one who writes and plays those bone-crushing riffs, Angus just solos in the blues box; that Gretsch of Malcolms is strung with either .13s or 14s: I tried it once on some POS (stratocaster!!) and whilst my fingers are used to .12s, 14s are something else again; brutal stuff!! Shocked

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 am

Corsair, you're quite right, Malcom is the man.
Playing this rhythm guitar....

I saw Jeff Beck a few years ago. He had beautiful women in his band, which played guitar.
I think she's a jazz guitarist, can't remember her name. But during the concert she played nice battles with Jeff,
which have been stunning. So I would like to add her to the list. Maybe someone can help.

Why not add some more bass players: Without them it's sometimes quite difficult.

Marcus Miller
Paul Simonon
Flea
Michael Anthony
Bootsy Collins

Tal Wilkenfeld --> see the DVD Jeff Beck Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club
Tina Weymouth
Kim Gordon
Melissa Auf Der Maur
Me’shell Ndegeocello

hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top