Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Joseph St. Ides on Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi all.

about 18 years ago I bought my first electric guitar. I was young and stupid but I loved the thing, and unfortunately didn't take care of it really well. I could have kicked myself.

Anyway long story short it was a Black Westone Dynasty. serial number 5010242(I looked it up and as far as i can tell it was made in january of 1985. I want to restore it and I have been looking for parts, paint, and whatnot. I even went so far as to look for parts when I was stationed overseas in Korea.

Okay so I'm looking for suggestions of brands and where to get parts (in the US or places that deliver to the US) such as:
push/pull potentiometers
a new bridge black preferably(I tried to replace it some time ago and found it a pain to find one that fits, weird)
Paint.

I'm keeping the pickups unless I can find some magnaflux II's and a IV
I'm a neophyte when it comes to guitar parts really but I have soldiering experience and can follow a schematic so this isn't completely foreign.

thanks for your help and I will relay information about my adventures to the rest of the community.

Joseph St. Ides
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Age : 42
Location : Cincinnati, OH, USA
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post by boutjp97 on Wed May 21, 2008 11:21 pm

I use this guy (LINK) for a bunch of stuff, he is in the states , has fast shipping and is one of the coolest guys you will ever deal with, and his prices are great. Here is a LINK to a westone information page, I linked to the main page and not directly to the dynasty page as the owner David requests visitors to do. Just click on the WESTONE ELECTRIC GUITAR MODELS LIST link and then the dynasty link, it includes a wiring diagram at the far right and info on your guitar as far as what parts came on it. As for the measurments, I'm sure a few people here know them, as far as your bridge. The site lists it as a bendmaster FT, if you are going to take it off and use a replacement I am sure a few people here will take that bridge off of your hands at a reasonable price. Also try the links page for information and parts. Here is a LINK to the old forum which has a bunch of great tips and fixes on it in the various threads. Good luck, and I'll be the first to request pictures of your dynasty????

boutjp97
Senior Member

Number of posts : 306
Age : 43
Location : Boston, New York USA
Registration date : 2008-05-16

http://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Joseph St. Ides on Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 pm

unfortunatly my old bridge is gone. I've replaced it with an illfitting bridge that I bought from a music store in Omaha. I was told that Westone was bought out by Gibson and the salesguy said he could special order one from them. He was wrong and I was stuck with a bridge.

I checked out the Westone site and took a look at the wiring diagrams before posting on here. That's why I didn't ask for pickup.
I remember loving the sound I got off them before.

Pics are fourthcoming Smile

Thanks for the links.

Joseph St. Ides
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Age : 42
Location : Cincinnati, OH, USA
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by corsair on Thu May 22, 2008 4:33 am

The '85 Dynasty had a Bendmaster FT floating trem from memory, so the only way you're gonna get one of those is if someone parts out a guitar so equipped, which does happen from time to time!! you'll just have to keep an eye out on eBay!! I have a feeling that some of the Kahler gear will fit nicely - perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here....

The other bits and bobs are readily available from various suppliers and with a little luck, David from Westone will get his spares site up and running again! It was a veritable cornucopia for Westone parts with David actually getting bits manufactured!

Anyway, Joseph, welcome to the madhouse and we'd like to see the beast in question!! Very Happy

_________________
FWIW, an after market esoteric nut is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a great way to convert your money into someone else’s.

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Age : 57
Location : Hervey Bay, Australia.
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Confused on Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 am

Hiya,
I think you've found the right place Mr. Joseph. This gang knows their stuff Westone-wise. I'm afraid I can't help you as I am a newbee as well and I sort of remember being young and stupid now I'm just old and stupid....well old anyway.

Confused
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Age : 66
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Joseph St. Ides on Thu May 22, 2008 12:10 pm

corsair wrote:The '85 Dynasty had a Bendmaster FT floating trem from memory, so the only way you're gonna get one of those is if someone parts out a guitar so equipped, which does happen from time to time!! you'll just have to keep an eye out on eBay!! I have a feeling that some of the Kahler gear will fit nicely - perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here....

The other bits and bobs are readily available from various suppliers and with a little luck, David from Westone will get his spares site up and running again! It was a veritable cornucopia for Westone parts with David actually getting bits manufactured!

Anyway, Joseph, welcome to the madhouse and we'd like to see the beast in question!! Very Happy

I actually I think I saw that spares site. Did that guy deliver to the US at all? I noticed it closed like around april.

is this the Link in question?

That bridge will be a bear. I'm going to do some exact measurements and what not and I might have to go with something aftermarket. Funny thing is every other pawn shop around here had at least one Westone hanging in the window for a time. It kinda sucks now because I wonder where all those dynasties ran off to.

Joseph St. Ides
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Age : 42
Location : Cincinnati, OH, USA
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by corsair on Thu May 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Joseph St. Ides wrote:I actually I think I saw that spares site. Did that guy deliver to the US at all? I noticed it closed like around april.

is this the Link in question?

That bridge will be a bear. I'm going to do some exact measurements and what not and I might have to go with something aftermarket. Funny thing is every other pawn shop around here had at least one Westone hanging in the window for a time. It kinda sucks now because I wonder where all those dynasties ran off to.

...yep, I would assume so 'cause I got gear off him down here in NZ!! Good kit, too, and it didn't cost lot to freight as most of those bits were small enough to send through the mail.

Some of the Panteras used a Kahler Spyder so maybe that could be a starting point. The Clipper used a TRS 101 which is a Floyd Rose clone; another possibility? Smile

Ooh, mate; we ALL wonder where the Westones, Arias and Vantages have gone; there weren't THAT many down under back in the day, but there's even less now...!! Sad


Last edited by corsair on Thu May 22, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : abysmal spelling!!!!!)

_________________
FWIW, an after market esoteric nut is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a great way to convert your money into someone else’s.

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5213
Age : 57
Location : Hervey Bay, Australia.
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Sfalj on Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 am

corsair wrote:Ooh, mate; we ALL wonder where the Westones, Arias and Vantages have gone; there weren't THAT many down under back in the day, but there's even less now...!! Sad

Americans bought them! Or perhaps the Brits?

Sure wasn't me though... Crying or Very sad

Sfalj
Senior Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new and I'd like some help.

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:28 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum