A gentle reminder....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A gentle reminder....

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Hello Chaps!

I am writing to remind all members to please read the forum rules thoroughly before posting as I have had cause to lock the previous thread in this forum.
The minority of members who are joining these forums solely for the purpose of selling unwanted guitars seems to be on the increase and that is not what we are here for.

My apologies to the stalwart members for coming down a bit heavy here but I would hate to see those few who blatantly flout the rules, spoil it for the rest of us.

Thank you one and all!

Polly
:queen: :flower:

Back to top Go down

Re: A gentle reminder....

Post by diddydave on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 pm

I am new here and i apologise if i am speaking out of turn so to speak, it appears to me that allot of members here are collectors like myself (well it has taken me 19 years to get my second westone).

Could i suggest a 'for sale' section to sit beside the wanted section so that persons could advertise their unwanted guitars to people that want them and would take care of them etc.

it could also be a great resource for spares etc. for restoration projects.

just a thought

great forum bye the way

diddydave
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Hello Diddy Dave, Smile

We have had this discussion many times but what it comes down to is the fact that we would still lose the whole point of the forums and get unscrupulous people joining solely to sell their unwanted guitars.

The private messaging facility works well here and I am sure that many members have traded guitars/parts in this way quite successfully whilst still adhering to the rules of the forums.

Nice idea I know, but not very practical.

Polly
:queen: :flower:

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Using PMs is far less practical, as you cannot advertise that you have a guitar for sale without either sending a massive number of private messages or becoming an active member and have a note in your forum signature. A lot of people don't want to do either.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:26 am

I realise that, too, but this is primarily a forum for aficionados and fanboys Laughing so the selling on of instruments isn't really that much of a priority; besides, given the geographic spread of the members, I'm betting that bugger-all get sold that way!

Hey, if people don't want to join up to share information but just to sell instruments that they have no further use for... or worse, to sell to a captive and ready-made market, then personally, I could care less if they get the hump and piss off, eh!! Cool

The regulars in here are an ever-expanding knowledge base, and that's something I would protect most ardently by ruthlessly sorting the wheat from the chaff....

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts : 5210
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:58 am

I never said I cared though, did I? Just that it was impractical. If I'm going to buy an instrument, it'll be from someone on here that I trust, eBay, or in person.

Warrn

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 am

How true! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:44 pm

I sometimes visit a motorbike forum and the way they do this is by having a thread that allows members to show stuff they want to sell but there is no bidding allowed. Once its up ofers/transactions are all done by private messages on the forum. No traders allowed - break the rules, get deleted.
It works fine and as long as its a separate section doesnt clutter the rest. To me its a good thing, often allows like minded people to have first dib.

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:48 pm

That could be a way around it and keep the board clear of gougers; let's see what Polly and David reckon...

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Oh bloody hell, she's back :queen:

Best behaviour lads, our transgressions will be spotted cyclops

norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08