Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Post by Old Gregg on Sat May 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Here's a fun idea for a thread - how about trying to name some famous Westone users (past and present) and posting YouTube clips, if available!?

I bring this up because the bassist who inspired me to take up the instrument, back in 1985, was a Westone devotee and it occured to me recently that I couldn't think of any others Suspect .

The bassist in question was a guy by the (stage?) name of Stuart Morrow and he was the original bass player for English, Cromwellian rockers, "New Model Army". I loved this band and used to go to see them regularly (in spite of the fact that their hardcore fans followed a fashion for wearing wooden-soled clog shoes, which they used to frantically kick at people in the "Mosh Pit" with Mad . I can see Pollyanna recoiling in horror at the very mention of this kind of behaviour pale ).

Anyway, Mr. Morrow's "weapon of choice" was the all-black, Westone Thunder Jet Bass (high on my "Wanted List" Very Happy ). Here's a great video of the band (and the "moshers") in action, in 1985: Link ....

Amongst the things that I love most in that clip are; a.) the fact that the bass guitar is by far the loudest thing in the mix (take note, rock bands everywhere Wink ), b.) the speed and inventiveness of the bass playing, c.) the great close-up shots of that coolest of Westone logos Very Happy and d.) the evidence of why British dentistry trails the world (except for, maybe, Bangladesh Neutral ).

After Stu Morrow left the band, his replacement jumped onto the Matsumoko band wagon, by championing the Spectrum GT Bass (yes, I want a black one of those, too Embarassed ). Sadly, I can't find any video clips for that one, so you'll just have to take my word for it Wink .

Anyway, what famous (or even, semi-famous) bands do you folks know of, who've used Westone guitars or basses in the past Smile ?

Old Gregg

Number of posts: 123
Registration date: 2008-04-19

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/littlesiteofcalm

Back to top Go down

Re: Famous Westone Players - Name and (no) shame them!

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 am

Old Gregg wrote: ... (in spite of the fact that their hardcore fans followed a fashion for wearing wooden-soled clog shoes, which they used to frantically kick at people in the "Mosh Pit" with Mad . I can see Pollyanna recoiling in horror at the very mention of this kind of behaviour. pale

Oh, you might be surprised Gregory! Shocked I'm not that Prim and Proper! Razz I too used to wear those wooden soled clogs, but I must admit that most of my 'Clog Flinging' was aimed at my older sister! Twisted Evil

Good idea, but I haven't got a clue!
scratch The only ones that I know of were Status Quo, but I think that they only used the Westones for a publicity campaign and not actually on stage - Does that still count? scratch

Pauline
:flower: :queen:

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Sun May 25, 2008 2:00 pm

I guess that Status Quo would count ... if we could see the publicity photographs to prove it Wink .

Maybe our cousins from accross the pond can supply some input on this one!? There must have been some other well-known bands using Westone/Electra instruments (especially in Japan Razz )!

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Will this do???? http://www.westone.info/ads/quo/index.html

There is also another, lesser known one, but I'm having problems uploading pictures at the minute! Rolling Eyes I'll get it sorted out soon though, hopefully! Laughing

Pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Sun May 25, 2008 2:39 pm

That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !

Can't say that I've ever seen John "Rhino" Edwards using any headless bass other than his red Status, though Suspect .

You'd think that a band like Status Quo would sell enough records worldwide, not to need to "prostitute" themselves to a guitar manufacturer whose gear they're not prepared to use, wouldn't you Neutral ? Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Old Gregg wrote:That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !
... Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!

Now that, dear Gregory, is a matter of opinion! Laughing Wink

And as promised, here is the other advert!

HEE HEE!
lol! lol! lol!
Pauline :flower: :queen:

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Sun May 25, 2008 3:59 pm

..you'll be pushing it uphill to find any "major" names; the only ones I can think of would be Mountain's Leslie West, INX's Kirk Pengilly and Hawkwinds Dave Brock! Oh, and Trevor Rabin from Yes. And I don't go near youtube as we're only on dial-up out here in the backblocks of NZ!!

http://www.westone.info/adverts.html

Happy hunting, y'all!!

corsair
Administrator

Number of posts: 4600
Registration date: 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Sun May 25, 2008 10:16 pm

corsair wrote:...And I don't go near youtube as we're only on dial-up out here in the backblocks of NZ!!

Happy hunting, y'all!!

Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?

Very Happy

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:That'll do nicley, thanks Poll Wink !
... Oh well, it gives us some more nice pictures to look at (the Clipper guitars, not the hairy men Razz )!

Now that, dear Gregory, is a matter of opinion! Laughing Wink

And as promised, here is the other advert!

HEE HEE!
lol! lol! lol!

Polly, if we had a "Westone calendar" every month, I'd prefer to see you on it than Francis Rossi :alien: , any day pirat !

Is that a tatoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 am

Old Gregg wrote:Is that a tattoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom

..yes, do tell us!! Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 am

Old Gregg wrote:Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?s

...Ooh, that's considered a vile insult down here, to call a Kiwi an Aussie!! Laughing ...but I forgive you!! Dial-up, my friend is what you get when you choose to live miles out inthe scrub - hell, we're lucky to have 'phone and power!! Sad

Hey, wish me luck on that blue Spectrum GT on the 'bay at the moment... Very Happy

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Mon May 26, 2008 5:23 am

corsair wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:Dial up? Wassat, Sport!?s

...Ooh, that's considered a vile insult down here, to call a Kiwi an Aussie!! Laughing ...but I forgive you!! Dial-up, my friend is what you get when you choose to live miles out inthe scrub - hell, we're lucky to have 'phone and power!! Sad

Hey, wish me luck on that blue Spectrum GT on the 'bay at the moment... Very Happy

Embarassed My bad, sorry! I really couldn't think of a stereotypical NZ image to post scratch . All I know about the country (from friends who've visited) is that it's the most beautiful place on Earth and that Lord of the Rings was filmed there ... not much to work with, really Suspect .

Anyway,

Wink

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 am

Old Gregg wrote:

Polly, if we had a "Westone calendar" every month, I'd prefer to see you on it than Francis Rossi :alien: , any day pirat !

Is that a tatoo of a Spectrum SX on your arm, BTW, or shouldn't one ask!? Suspect

bom

Shucks Gregory! You've got me blushing again! Embarassed Embarassed

The tattoo in question is just one of about nine that I've got, (all my own designs) and that particular one is of a Pheonix rising with a rose in its beak!

Oh, and before you all ask, No, I'm not going to show you them, so there!
No lol!

John mate, Good luck with the GT!
cheers

Pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj on Mon May 26, 2008 10:16 am

So all of these great guitars were never really played by the guitar greats? That's unfortunate...

After reading the first post I actually tried to find a famous person who did play one and well, no luck...

Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!

Sfalj

Number of posts: 169
Registration date: 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 am

Sfalj wrote: Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!

I did! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Pollyanna wrote:

I did! lol! lol! lol!

Umm, OK then - I'll just be standing over here.... Very Happy Very Happy

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Mon May 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Old Gregg wrote:My bad, sorry! I really couldn't think of a stereotypical NZ image to post scratch . All I know about the country (from friends who've visited) is that it's the most beautiful place on Earth and that Lord of the Rings was filmed there ... not much to work with, really Suspect .
Wink

Yes, very true; it was but I've never seen it - World's fastest Indian was more my style, and that was filmed in my old home town of Invercargill!! As for icons, I guess the kiwi, or the fern leaf or the Air New Zealand koru are all that come to mind readily, so you're forgiven, man!! We are at the bottom of the world, living quietly, not being a burden to anyone...

So, thank you Gandalf - (?) - for the best wishes!! Laughing

Last edited by Pollyanna on Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just removed photograph from quote)

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Gregg on Mon May 26, 2008 7:12 pm

corsair wrote:....

So, thank you Gandalf - (?) - for the best wishes!! Laughing

Gandalf is one of the key characters from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Still, if you've never seen it (or read the books), then that won't mean a lot to you.

I guess I should have just posted a picture of the All Blacks, instead Razz .

Old Gregg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj on Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

Pollyanna wrote:
Sfalj wrote: Someone here needs to get famous and promote the brand!

I did! lol! lol! lol!

PROOF! Proof is what I demand! Very Happy

Sfalj

Number of posts: 169
Registration date: 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair on Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Old Gregg wrote:I guess I should have just posted a picture of the All Blacks, instead

...nah, wouldn't help; I don't follow what over-priced prima donnas do on a big paddock with a little ball.... Laughing

corsair
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum