Taming tone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Taming tone

Post by Racing on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:08 am

Thatīs exactly what i did,itīs just that the body is from different grade maple and wonīt darken the same way the neck did.
Ie;the neck is all it can be as is while the body needs some more thought.

Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Racing,

Had the same happen with a bass recently and went out and bought the same brand of oil but with a tinted color in it. It's called Dark Oak or something... not at home right now... and will be testing that out on a scrap piece of wood. If it looks OK will be doing the body with the tinted oil and the clear oil worked wonders on the Canadian birds eye maple Neck!

Will let you know the results but I think that tinted oil might be the solution... and since you allready gave it a clear coat, that can stay on for the wash coat... the tint will still look amazing just by building ontop of it...Been pondering on this for a month...

P.

Frenchy

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah Pierre,TBH iīm starting to lean that way as well.
My thinking going along the lines of tinted oil,and following up by using the buffer more or less hardcore as it all starts to set.

Racing

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:44 am

I agree with Pierre. Rather than try and remove the oil, leave it as a sealer coat.
Having just gone through the stripping and refinishing of the Avenger I found that having a sealer coat really is needed to even out the colour on raw wood.

Even so, in my case, there was still quite a lot of variance in the grains which made it look a bit blotchy and uneven no matter what I did. It was also Ash rather than Maple so that didn't help much either. I think the sunburst idea might still work but it depends of course on how good the centre panel(s) look since they would be more visible than the darker outside edges.

I don't know if this simple wood finishing trick has been mentioned before in these forums, but if you wipe down raw wood with a damp cloth you get a very good approximation of what the wood will look like with a clear finish. You also see the grain pattern more clearly. (Be aware that it also raises the grain a bit too, so you need to give it a light sanding before applying a finish.)

GUITARS : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: http://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)

Barry

Number of posts : 6027
Registration date : 2009-05-01

http://www.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Dude, I own a x275 Cherry Stain, I put a dual stacked 500K pot (not mini, full size, fit right in) in and wired the bottom half as the tone pot. It has huge dual concentric knobs that look right at home on the Pantera.
This works great, also in mine I went with Dimarzio across the board. A Fred in the bridge, Cruiser Neck in the middle, and a Chopper in the neck. Granted mine is made of "Sen" wood, not maple but this combo sounds great.

madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top