Thunder 1 Truss rod cover

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thunder 1 Truss rod cover

Post by DuoFuzz on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Sarah.

I've been watching this post for awhile and thought it was about time I did something to help (or confuse!). These covers are all from 6 string guitars but as mentioned before, the early bass models did not seem to have the word "Bass" on the truss rod covers.

1, This cover is from my early '82 Thunder 1, finished in Sunset Red with a white scroll headstock logo.

I measured the letters and the capital T is 5.5mm tall by 4mm wide. The lower case letters are about 4mm tall by 3.5mm wide. All the letters are 1mm thick and the space between Thunder and I is 5mm.

2, This cover is from a late '82 Thunder 1-A active model.This guitar has a gold scroll logo an seen in the '82/83 catalogue.

As you can see this looks like the same font but it's actually slightly smaller. I guess this could be to make space for the -A active designation, but I don't know for sure. This time the T is 4.5 x 4 and the lower case letters are 3 x 3. As before the letters are about 1mm thick.

3, I doubt this will have anything to do with your 1982 bass but I've put this in for reference for anyone who is interested in this stuff. This is from my 1983 Thunder 1 with the W 'bird' logo.

This is completely different from the others, italicised with little flick to the tail of each letter. The capital is 6.5 x 4 and the lower case is 5 x 4. The letters are just less than 1mm thick.

For replacing the letters on your cover, there is a company called Letraset that make dry rub down transfers. I'm not sure if they would work on this textured matt finish plastic but it might be worth a look.

And just for the record, I always polish my brass nuts with Brasso wadding, it's a bit messy but they do shine up nicely with some vigorous buffing .

I hope this helps you. (And anyone else with the same problem)

DAN.

DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Nice one Dan, good stuff, my bass lettering must have been from the Friday afternoon shift, it was the 80s after all..

grogg

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks for all the tips on cleaning the brass. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

http://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top